Rob Chiang is a Managing Director at Ankura based in Chicago. He has more than 27 years of experience in providing financial advisory consulting services to his clients on a variety of valuation issues. Rob has extensive experience in performing valuations of assets (intangible and tangible) and business interests for companies in a broad range of industries for a number of different purposes (including acquisition/divestiture; tax planning/reporting; financial reporting; due diligence; strategic planning; litigation; and bankruptcy). Rob also has extensive experience in the valuation of intellectual property (IP) and the development/analysis of various IP commercialization strategies.
Rob’s professional experience includes:
- Advised the management of a major consumer products company in the valuation of an IP portfolio of over 200 patents and trade names associated with an innovative power supply technology. Our analysis involved the evaluation and quantification of various strategic alternatives in 11 different markets to assist in the development of potential licensing, sales, and litigation strategies.
- Assisted the management of a worldwide digital storage solutions company in the valuations of various patent portfolios of new storage technologies in connection with their potential sale or licensing. Our analysis included the development of financial valuation models which had the flexibility to run multiple scenarios and sensitivities based on various inputs from the client.
- Provided technology-to-market (T2M) advisory services to numerous universities in connection with new technology research projects funded by a US government agency. Services included performing market research, preparing techno-economic analyses, establishing value propositions, developing business plans/strategies, and completing status reports.
- Advised the senior-level management of an international producer and distributor of alcoholic beverages in the valuation of its global brands and business enterprise in connection with its potential sales and/or licensing.
- Assisted the Mayor’s Office of a major US city in the valuation of certain waste recovery and recycling operations for strategic planning purposes in connection with the possible sale or lease of the operations to the private sector. The analysis was used to assist the City in structuring the terms of the deal and in the evaluation of competitive bids.
- Provided licensing recommendations to the chief patent counsel of a major consumer electronics manufacturer regarding its patent portfolio consisting of newly adopted “standard” technologies associated with high definition television (HDTV).
- Extensive experience in FASB ASC 805 (purchase price allocation) and FASB ASC 350 (impairment testing) analyses for companies in a broad range of industries including the chemicals, computer hardware/software, petroleum, moving services, consumer products, electronic components, packaging, specialty metals, technology, retail, electronics manufacturing services, pharmacy benefit management, and general manufacturing industries.
- Served as a regular valuation advisor to the management of one of the world’s largest computer companies. Engagements have included valuations of various trade names, technologies, and software for tax planning and reporting purposes.
- Assisted the management of an international consumer electronics manufacturer in the valuation of its entire patent portfolio for strategic planning purposes. The patent portfolio included key technologies involved in analog television, color television, digital television, and other consumer electronic products.
- Advised the governments of Kazakhstan and the Ivory Coast in the determination of the fair market values of government-owned refineries and oil reserves for privatization purposes. The analysis was used to assist the governments in the evaluation of privatization strategies and competitive bids.