Anamaria Popescu, PhD, PE is a Senior Managing Director at Ankura. She is a registered professional civil engineer and a AAA and ICDR construction arbitrator with more than 30 years of experience in project management, scheduling, delay analysis, productivity loss, project controls, and contract management.
Anamaria’s project experience includes power generation, pipelines, petrochemical plants, oil and gas production platforms (on-shore and off-shore), mining, water treatment plants, airports, telecommunications, and commercial construction in Australia, Canada, the U.S., Mexico, South America, South Africa, and Asia. Her expertise as well as her doctoral thesis focus on forensic schedule analysis. She has provided program/project management and project control services for projects ranging from $500,000 to $50 billion. As an expert witness, she has written numerous expert reports that led to successful settlements as well as testified in both international and national arbitration hearings and dispute review board proceedings on delay, productivity loss, and damages.
Anamaria has also written numerous publications and taught seminars and courses on scheduling, effective project controls, delay analysis, and dispute management in the U.S. as well as internationally. Additionally, she is the cofounder and chairman of the Society of Construction Law North America Section since 2017.
Recent representative testimony experience includes:
- ICC Arbitration: Provided expert reports and arbitration testimony in Bogota, Colombia at the Chamber of Commerce as the delay and scheduling expert on the construction of an Oil Tank Farm in Cartagena, Colombia on behalf of the Respondent, the Owner
- LACC Arbitration: Provided expert reports, joint expert reports and arbitration testimony in London at the IDRC as the delay and scheduling expert on the construction of an airport in the Middle East on behalf the Respondent, the Owner
- LCIA Arbitration: Provided expert reports and testimony in London in LCIA Arbitration at the IDRC as the delay expert on the construction of a $760 million offshore natural gas topsides production platform. Testimony was in relation to the causes of critical path delay to sail away of the platform.
- AAA Arbitration: Provided expert report and testimony in Deposition and AAA Arbitration Hearing as the Delay Expert for the subcontractor against the EPC Contractor on a combined cycle power plant in the United States. Claim components included extended overhead, productivity loss and unpaid change order. The arbitrator issued a very favorable award (almost the entire amount requested) to the subcontractor.
- ICC Arbitration: Provided expert reports and participated in joint expert conclaves in an ICC arbitration whose seat was in London. Performed delay analysis and causation on the construction of an LNG Regasification offshore facility for the subcontractor based in Thailand against the EPC contractor. The claim components included delay, disruption and unpaid change orders. The case settled before arbitration hearings commenced with a favorable settlement to the subcontractor.
- Dispute Review Board Hearing (Bogota, Colombia)- Testifying Expert in Delay Analysis: Testified in a DRB hearing regarding delays encountered in the construction of a Water Treatment Plant in Medellin, Colombia for the Consortium Owner of the Treatment Plant. Testified to the reasonableness of the delay analysis methodology employed by the contractor and explained the methodology used to determine concurrency and compensable delays.
- ICC Arbitration: Designated Delay Testifying Expert in International Arbitration Proceedings on the construction of a Paper Mill in the South of Brazil-Testified in ICC Arbitration in Sao Paulo, Brazil on three different occasions to the arbitration tribunal on a $100 million claim regarding delay, disruption, acceleration, and productivity loss for the contractor. Performed a delay analysis to determine if liquidated damages were justified and if the contractor accelerated their works to mitigate delay. In addition, testified in front of an independent expert panel, produced expert reports and rebuttal reports.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, University of Texas at Austin
- MS, Civil Engineering, University of Texas at Austin
- BS, Civil Engineering, University of Texas at Austin
- Honors & Awards
- Who’s Who Legal says: “Anamaria Popescu is described as a "brilliant expert" by interviewees, who describe her abilities to "tackle issues with ease" and note her as "great at explaining matters", "Anamaria is extraordinarily strong technically and possesses solid argumentative skills, which is a great combination for an arbitration expert.”, “Anamaria gives oral testimonies in a calm and effective manner.", "She is a great delay expert in and out of the hearing room".
- PE, Texas & Colorado
- AAA and ICDR Construction Arbitrator, Roster of Neutrals
- The Society of Construction Law, North America, Chairman
- The Society of Construction Law, International Liaison Committee
- The Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering, International
- The American Arbitration Association and International Center for Dispute Resolution
- Equal Representation for Expert Witnesses, Global Steering Committee