1 Angel Court, Level 3
London, England EC2R 7HJ
Jonathan Roe is a Senior Managing Director at Ankura, based in London. Jonathan has over 15 years’ experience in the major projects sector, helping organisations manage all aspects of project and programme risk and performance across a range of industries. He advises project owners, investors, financiers and contractors on project and programme strategy, execution and turnaround, helping them build the capability to deliver major projects successfully, optimise project performance and get distressed projects back on track.
Jonathan’s professional experience includes:
- National Paediatric Hospital, Europe: Led an independent review into cost overruns on behalf of the Prime Minister. The high-profile review, which was published by the government, established the underlying reasons for significant cost increases during the construction of the hospital, assessed the management and governance arrangements and identified the key residual risks.
- Government department, UK: Appointed to turnaround a high profile, nationally important environmental programme that was underperforming and in danger of breaching the government’s international legal obligations.
- International construction contractor, UK: Appointed by the contractor’s lenders to conduct an independent review of its UK contract portfolio following a profit warning. The review identified high risk contracts and provided an objective assessment of their likely outturn positions.
- Government department, UK: Appointed to turnaround a failing project to relocate and consolidate the department’s staff into a single London office.
- Transport regulator, UK: Developed the programme planning and budgeting rulebook in relation to a major national infrastructure upgrade, allowing the regulator to provide effective ongoing scrutiny of the programme.
- Government ministry, Saudi Arabia: Appointed as a subject matter expert on a cross-ministry cost reduction programme, deploying strategic cost reduction and portfolio optimisation techniques to cut £20bn from the central government capital budget.
- Housebuilder, UK: Appointed by the CEO to investigate performance issues within several of the company’s regional divisions following a significant deterioration in performance at several construction sites.
- Russell Group University, UK: Led an independent review on behalf of the audit committee into cost overruns and governance arrangements in relation to a £1bn construction and infrastructure programme.
- Leisure resort developer, UK: Appointed as the strategic advisor to the executive management of a multi-£bn entertainment development, providing advice on delivery and procurement options, organisational set up, governance and controls.
- G15 housing association, UK: Appointed by the CFO to overhaul and unify the organisation’s capital investment and programme governance following a series of recent mergers and acquisitions.
- Global media business, UK: Led an independent review into the construction of the company’s £1.3bn European headquarters
- Russell Group University, UK: Advised the Head of Estates on the transformation of the Estates function, establishing the structures, capability and capacity required to enable it to deliver a large-scale capital works programme.
- Local Authority, UK: Led an independent investigation into a complex profit-sharing arrangement with an international developer, identifying c. £10m in additional profit to which the authority was entitled to.
- Construction contractor, Europe: Appointed by the CFO to build the capability needed to expand the business into the Engineering, Procurement and Construction market.
- G15 housing associations, UK: Undertook portfolio due diligence reviews for numerous UK housing associations seeking to acquire or merge with others.
- Sovereign Fund, UAE: Undertook independent reviews of several major infrastructure investments during their construction, including a $20bn greenfield city development and $2bn multispecialty hospital.
- Oil field services company, Egypt: Led a review on behalf of the CEO into significant unplanned cost increases relating to one of the company’s major drilling platform upgrade projects.
- Oil field services company, UAE: Undertook a review of several distressed construction contracts that had adversely affected the profitability of the FTS250 business.
- National Oil Company, UAE: Undertook project risk assessments and developed an assurance plan for the company’s multi-$bn portfolio of construction projects.
- Hospital developer, Qatar: Undertook a review of the performance of a multi-$bn new build hospital following cost increases, delays and contractual disputes with the main contractor.
- Media development, UAE: Undertook a readiness assessment of the organisation in the context of its intention to build a $2bn greenfield media campus, advising the CFO on the steps required to address critical capability gaps.
- MEng, Mechanical Engineering, University of Surrey
- Chartered Engineer, Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers