Max Hoederath is a Senior Director at Ankura focusing on risk, forensics, and compliance, with special expertise in capital project advisory, based in Germany. With over nine years of experience across construction project management, project assurance, and project audits, Max advises clients on the strategy, implementation, and control of major construction projects. After various international assignments in engineering and design teams, as well as on-site teams, Max worked as an owner’s representative lead project manager for the development of office buildings by an international development bank and a chamber of commerce. Since then, he has been involved in the project assurance of a major airport construction as well as various real estate focused audits and forensic investigations.
Max’s professional experience includes:
Advisory and Analyses
- Delay analysis and cost overrun analysis for multiple hospital construction projects exceeding a project volume of €170 million.
- Consulting on the formation and structure of a project entity (SPV) for an airport terminal construction project. Design of the construction project-specific operational interfaces between entities.
- Optimization of construction project risk management of a state-level public entity based on IDW PS340nF (local ISA equivalent).
- Support of project risk management for the construction and commissioning of an automated logistics center.
- Cost analysis of total projected costs for multiple logistics construction projects to facilitate an IPO.
- Delay analysis and cost overrun analysis in a construction project for a school building.
- Analysis of corporate directives of a real estate developer. Gap analysis of real-life processes.
- Delay analysis for contractor in a dispute concerning the construction of an IT-related building complex.
- Procurement support for an airport operator to realize cost savings in ongoing construction project.
- Design and implementation of a physical site security standard for over 300 individual sites for a global manufacturer of consumer goods.
Audit and Assurance
- Project assurance and consulting for the construction of a new airport terminal of €2.5 billion. Evaluation of cost management, delay management, risk management, tenders, and change orders. Reporting to executive board.
- Compliance audit of ongoing real estate developments in the hospitality sector.
- Internal audit of multiple construction projects (construction audit) for a public housing association.
- Construction audit of e-mobility-related infrastructure projects for a public transport operator.
- Audit specialist for several highway bridge construction projects of a leading general contractor. Verification of unresolved claims and progress reports based on site visits and review of contractual and invoicing documents.
- Audit specialist for several bridge and tunnel construction projects of major construction company in Scandinavia. Focus on capitalization of unresolved claims and verification of major project risks and opportunities.
- Internal audit of construction projects (construction audit) for a non-profit organization.
- Audit specialist for several ongoing construction projects for leading automobile manufacturer.
- Internal audit of infrastructure construction projects (construction audit) for an industrial park operator.
- Comprehensive audit for the construction of a media production site.
- Construction audit of a maintenance facility for a publicly listed manufacturer of high-tech component
- Forensic investigation of fraud allegations regarding the invoicing (overcharging) in construction projects funded by a development bank.
- Investigation of development bank funded construction projects. Review of fraud claims regarding qualifications and credentials of engineering staff.
- Forensic investigation of fraud allegations in overseas real estate investments. International site visits and interviews.
- Forensic investigation of construction projects of a research institute. Investigation of allegations of fraud regarding tendering and invoicing of services.
- Client-side project management for the construction of office buildings for an international development bank. Direct reporting to senior management.
- Client-side project management for a construction project of a chamber of commerce.
- Tendering project management for a university.
- Dipl.-Wirt. Ing. of RWTH Aachen University (Postgraduate Engineering Manager)
- Dipl.-Ing. Architecture of RWTH Aachen University (Postgraduate Engineer)
- Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS)
- PRINCE2 Agile Practitioner