485 Lexington Avenue, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10017
+1.646.291.8546 Direct Get in touch
Waqas Shahid is a Senior Managing Director at Ankura with more than 15 years of multidisciplinary legal, compliance and technology experience, including counseling companies on enterprise compliance and operational risk mitigation (including in the areas of international trade, environmental, and data security/privacy); designing, building, and deploying corporate compliance programs and solutions; conducting internal investigations; and designing and deploying scalable process automation solutions. He is based in New York.
Before joining Ankura, Waqas was a Senior Attorney at a leading aerospace and defense company and led numerous enterprise compliance investigations, conducted enterprise-wide technology systems compliance reviews, and designed and implemented scalable compliance solutions. Earlier in his career, he practiced law at a global Am Law 100 firm, where he counseled numerous clients on trade compliance, environmental, and data security and privacy matters. Waqas also has extensive experience developing and deploying critical compliance software and process automation solutions.
Waqas’s professional experience includes:
- Regulatory compliance program buildout: Design and implement regulatory compliance programs and discrete compliance processes and solutions for various clients, including global Fortune 500 companies as well as mid- and small-cap manufacturers and suppliers.
- Compliance investigations and disclosures: Conduct investigations into allegations of potential regulatory violations. Draft internal memoranda as well as disclosures for submission to various US government agencies, including the US Departments of State and Commerce.
- Trade compliance counseling: Advise clients on US export and sanctions matters including export licensing, compliance with US economic sanctions, use of regulatory exemptions/exceptions, export control reform, product classification, and compliance automation and technology systems.
- Trade compliance program buildout for Fortune 50 company: As internal counsel, helped a division of a Fortune 50 company, subject to consent agreement and deferred prosecution agreement for US export control violations, build and execute a global trade compliance program, including specific focus on internal investigations, disclosures, risk identification and management, and technology-related issues.
- Compliance system design and implementation: As internal counsel, initiated project to utilize six-sigma methods to review compliance system performance, design enhancements, and ensure timely execution of enhancements.
- Technology system compliance review: As internal counsel, led team in conducting risk-based compliance reviews of over 2,000 enterprise technology systems. Activities included project planning, risk identification and remediation, and executive reporting.
- Data security and privacy counseling, incident response: Counseled clients (as outside and internal counsel) on various data security and privacy matters, including development of insider threat awareness program, compliance with Department of Defense cyber security incident reporting requirements, and multijurisdictional responses to data security breaches.
- Consumer protection counseling and litigation: Counseled technology clients on compliance with, and handled litigation regarding, various consumer protection laws and regulations, including the Federal Trade Commission Act, data privacy regulations, and the Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography and Marketing (CAN-SPAM) Act.
- Environmental compliance: Counseled clients on compliance with federal, state, and local environmental laws and regulations. Developed regulatory compliance manuals for nationwide use by 100+ affiliates of a major automotive company dealing with a significant automotive recall.
- Software development, process automation: Developed and deployed process automation software solutions for federal government agencies and international financial institutions.