Kevin provides advice to employers, contractors, and specialists in relation to quantum issues that includes the preparation of quantum expert reports, principles for the valuation of change, assessment of damages, and ascertainment of direct loss and/or expense arising from delay for formal dispute pleadings in arbitration and litigation.
Kevin’s previous roles have been held on all sides of the construction industry across South East Asia, Australia, the Middle East, and the United Kingdom. Having regularly worked on projects with construction costs exceeding SGD 1 billion, his contractual and commercial work involves preparing claims and negotiating the settlement of problematic final accounts.
Kevin is a qualified adjudicator in a number of Australian jurisdictions and has been appointed to decide several matters.
Kevin’s professional experience includes:
- Residential Project, Australia: Appointed adjudicator between main contractor and employer concerning a payment dispute relating to contract works, variations, deductions for alleged defective works, and delay costs in connection with concrete placement works.
- Design and Construction of a Giant Observation Wheel, United Arab Emirates: Arbitration between the contractor and giant observation wheel designer. Assisted the expert witness in the preparation of an expert report on the quantum of payment due arising from alleged underpayment for design services. Claimed amount approximately USD 29 million.
- Pharmaceutical Project, Singapore: New build pharmaceutical plant comprising process and non-process facilities. Team leader responsible for all cost planning and procurement.
- Land Preparation Works for Airport, Singapore: Provision of claims management advice and preparation of correspondence / extension of time claims for the main contractor in connection with design and build ground improvement works contract on land reclamation site. Approximate Contract value was SGD 1billion.
- Mass Rapid Transport Station, Singapore: Senior commercial manager for the MRT Station and cut and cover tunnels by top down construction. Connections to existing station and diversion of services / road traffic. Co-ordination with system wide contractors. Responsible for procurement, contract / subcontracts, claim management; settlement of final accounts. Claim matters included unforeseeable ground conditions encountered.
- Electrical Overhead Transmission Line, New Zealand: Preparation of a comprehensive claim document conforming to the project alliance agreement and detailing the basis for recognition of scope changes and excusable delays in pursuit of an extension of time and an increase in monetary compensation. Claim matters included delayed access to site(s), unforeseeable geotechnical conditions, change of foreign labour employment laws, and multiple major variations.