Shannon has landed coverage in print and broadcast outlets around the world, including the Today Show, Seven News, Sky News, ITV, KBPS, ABC, 60 Minutes, 2GB, and Sunday Night. His articles have been featured in the Asia Pacific Security Magazine, Australian Financial Review, The Australian, CSO, news.com.au, and university journals.
Shannon engages with executives and boards in both government and private industry and develops solutions to incorporate cyber risk into their overall business strategy. His focus is on strategic cybersecurity; helping clients meet risk-reduction and compliance objectives and advising on the implementation of new and evolving technologies by ensuring they are secure, fit-for-purpose, scalable, and continually driving efficiencies in the target organization.
As a Non-Executive Director on various boards, Shannon has a passion for initiatives that tackle issues affecting the disabled, indigenous, and veteran communities.
Shannon’s professional experience includes:
- Created the assessment framework and delivered a first-of-its-kind, nationally significant Australian Government Agency cybersecurity maturity review, that supported the resilience of the democratic processes of Australia.
- Led the successful multi-stage delivery of a more than $40 million technology transformation project with 35 direct reports.
- Delivered cybersecurity audits for government owned critical infrastructure operators, entailing OT and IT architecture.
- Provided general management and strategy consulting services to mature technology and cybersecurity product start-ups to tie together disperse business units and achieve efficient and sustainable workflows.
- Delivered cybersecurity incident response planning, coordination, communications, and advisory services to publicly listed Australian organizations, including tabletop exercises and “war games” to test and rehearse incident response plans at board and C-suite level.
- Conducted product and technology architecture reviews in major financial organizations to identify shadow and legacy IT and security products to discover cost-saving opportunities.
- Supplied advisory services for deposit-taking institutions (ADIs) regarding Banking Executive Accountability Regime (BEAR) accountability obligations, including overall risk controls and risk management, information management (including information technology systems), internal audit function, and compliance function of ADIs and other APRA-regulated entities.
- Strategic leadership and governance as a non-executive director of a large not-for-profit with annual revenues exceeding $20 million.
- Developed the cyber risk practice of a major consulting firm from a team of two to a high-performing diverse team of more than 12 in less than one year, with a focus on the federal government; from the development and delivery of nationally significant cybersecurity maturity reviews to the implementation of large ICT transformation programs.
- Coordinated the development and launch of the cybersecurity division of GM Risk Group, rapidly becoming its most profitable service line, focusing on providing affordable cybersecurity and risk management solutions to businesses in over 30 different countries.
- Founded and built a nascent risk consultancy firm into an internationally recognized organization where he managed a multi-million annual P&L, with major clients throughout the US, Europe, and Asia Pacific.