Stephen O’Malley is a Senior Managing Director with over 20 years of experience consulting on technical issues, working on some of the largest multinational investigations, and as a testifying expert in the areas of analysis and restoration of electronic data, electronic discovery best practices, and testing of related computer software. He is based in New York.
Stephen’s professional experience includes:
- Regional Healthcare Provider: Led the eDiscovery efforts involving millions of documents in support of a Hart-Scott-Rodino antitrust investigation led by the Department of Justice.
Multinational Gaming and Entertainment Corporation: Led the on-site forensic examination and eDiscovery review effort of over 30 million documents in Macau, China.
- Multinational Healthcare Corporation: Coordinated an international eDiscovery response for an investigation that led to a financial restatement. Efforts included interviews, electronic data identification, collection, processing, and review in Europe and the United States.
- Multinational Electronics Manufacturing Business Foreign Corrupt Practices Act Investigation: Led the eDiscovery efforts in support of the investigation. Briefed the Securities and Exchange Commission and the DOJ on findings of the forensic investigation.
- SEC Receivership (hedge funds): Led an eDiscovery and computer forensics team serving the financial advisor to the SEC receiver of the Michael Kenwood Group of hedge funds in Connecticut. The investigation determined that the funds were a Ponzi scheme with potential losses of $700 million.
- BLMIS (Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities) Liquidation: Led the computer forensic investigation team responsible for investigating components of the fraud for the trustee, including communications analysis, transactional pattern recognition of trading activity, documentation of findings, and assistance with crafting complaints on behalf of the trustee.
- National Nonprofit Organization: Led the computer forensic efforts and subsequent review and production effort related to a New York City Department of Investigation subpoena.
- Multinational Private Equity Firm: Led the eDiscovery efforts in support of a large and complex DOJ investigation. Coordinated with client and multiple members of a large joint defense team to ensure consistent review and production standards.
- Multinational Pharmaceutical Manufacturer: Led the eDiscovery efforts involving millions of documents collected from the US and abroad in support of a Hart-Scott-Rodino antitrust investigation led by the Federal Trade Commission.
- International Beverage Manufacturer: Led the eDiscovery efforts in response to a large construction dispute involving a recently built factory facility.
- Electronic Information Services Corporation: Led the eDiscovery investigation into a stock options backdating probe.
National Consulting and Information Management Corporation: Led the investigation of senior corporate officials related to alleged fraud and embezzlement activities post corporate acquisition. Investigation efforts resulted in criminal charges and eventual guilty pleas to securities and wire fraud conspiracy, and tax evasion.
- A New York-based financial services company, primarily known as a broker of commodities and futures contracts.: Led the computer forensic team responsible for identifying electronic evidence in support of a forensic accounting team investigating an executive for embezzlement fraud of $430M for the company’s audit committee. Shortly after presenting the findings to the audit committee, the company released a public statement and our role transitioned to aiding the firm’s bankruptcy proceedings.
- New York Stock Exchange Specialist Investigations: Led the electronic trading data analysis team responsible for investigating trading activity by NYSE specialists. Developed sophisticated trading algorithms to identify inferior pricing due to interpositioned specialist traders. Presented investigation findings to NYSE enforcement.
- Large Regional Staffing Firm: Led a portion of the forensic investigation team responsible for investigating accounting irregularities for the firm’s audit committee. The effort involved analyzing payroll records from the largest PeopleSoft database implantation at that time in the world.
Honors & awards
- Who’s Who Legal says: “Stephen O’Malley is adept on matters involving eDiscovery and offers deep experience in the digital and data space.”
- News & events
- ING3NIOUS Information Governance Retreat, 6/26/2017, Middleburg, VA
- ING3NIOUS Information Governance Retreat, 5/22/2017, San Antonio, TX
- ING3NIOUS Cyber Security, Privacy, and Data Protection Retreat, 11/7/2016
- Ankura Appoints O’Malley as Senior Managing Director, Ankura News, 9/29/2016
Insights & innovation
- In the community