150 North Riverside Plaza, Suite 2400
Chicago, IL 60606
Jonathan Rush is a Senior Managing Director at Ankura based in Chicago. He provides expert witness and forensic accounting services to outside counsel, in-house counsel, and corporations involved in high-profile tax controversy matters, class actions, and commercial litigation disputes. Jonathan is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and has presented his findings to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), opposing counsel, mediators, and Department of Labor (DOL) investigators.
He is particularly adept at performing financial statement analysis and dissecting historical financial statements to address the needs of the court and litigation team. Jonathan’s combination of accounting and database analysis skills allows him to prepare unique financial analyses not previously available to clients.
Jonathan’s tax controversy experience includes disputes over proposed transfer pricing adjustments and refund claims. Examples of his expert analyses include preparation of product line and geographic profitability statements, quantification, and accounting for intercompany transactions, calculation of discounted cash flows, and preparation of product and customer life studies. He assists taxpayers at the audit, appeals, stipulation, expert report, and trial stages.
Jonathan has participated or served as the expert in several high-profile tax controversy matters, including:
- Facebook v. Commissioner, T.C. Docket No. 21959-16
- The Coca-Cola Company v. Commissioner, T.C. Docket No. 31183-15
- Amazon.com, Inc. v. Commissioner, T.C. Docket No. 31197-12
- Veritas Software v. Commissioner, T.C. Docket No. 12075-06
- Matters settled prior to trial, including a hard disk drive manufacturer, medical device manufacturer, and financial services company.
Jonathan also works extensively with clients involved in class action disputes. His experience with some of the world’s largest and most diverse data warehouses helps him create analytical repositories of disparate data to assist clients quantify potential exposure, address class certification issues, and resolve discovery disputes. Jonathan focuses on a wide range of class action matters, including wage and hour and other class action disputes. His experience includes working with, among other sources, transactional data, financial, and accounting systems, time and attendance systems, computer and phone logs, facility tracking systems, and customer billing data.
- BBA, Finance, University of Iowa
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), State of Illinois
- Certified Business Intelligence Professional (CBIP)
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Illinois CPA Society