Experts & Advisors
Senior Managing Director
Level 1, Building 7, Zone A, The Business Gate, Airport Road, P.O. Box 93597
Riyadh 11683, Saudi Arabia
+966 11 261 1522 Direct
+966 54 063 9104 Mobile
+971 55 664 5874 Mobile
Kassem Younes is a Senior Managing Director at Ankura. Kassem has a broad range of experience in commercial disputes, both in litigation and international arbitration. He was appointed as an accounting expert witness on numerous cases involving the quantification of damages in contractual disputes, shareholder disputes, and transaction related disputes.
Kassem has also led onsite teams in conducting large and high profile financial investigations and forensic reviews in various sectors across the Middle East and North Africa region. These included a variety of cases involving corruption, kickbacks, money laundering, embezzlement, asset misappropriation, and financial statement fraud. Prior to joining Ankura in 2018, Kassem worked in forensics, transaction services and financial audit at a Big 4 firm.
Kassem’s professional experience includes:
- Appointed Expert, acting for the Claimant, a Middle East contractor in a UAE based arbitration to opine on the loss of profits and other losses related to the unlawful call of bank guarantees.
- Led an ICC UK arbitration matter between a major Saudi petrochemical manufacturer and a US contractor. Work included assessing economic damages suffered due to the delay in the start-up of production.
- Led a Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC) arbitration matter between UAE based manufacturer and contractor regarding the loss of profits and increase in costs on a delayed construction development.
- Led a Jordan arbitration matter, acting for the respondent, in a dispute between a general contractor and a Jordan based hotel developer. Work included assessing the incremental costs incurred by the developer as a result of the delay and non-performance by the contractor.
- Led a high-profile forensic investigation engagement to assess large scale corruption allegations against former Middle East government officials. These included a variety of cases involving corruption, kickbacks, money laundering and embezzlement of public funds, as well as assisting to liaise with international law enforcement agencies to assist in asset recovery.
- Led a forensic investigation engagement to assess procurement fraud allegations against the former management of a publicly listed company.
- Led a forensic investigation on behalf of a governmental entity regarding procurement fraud allegations in the construction of a major amusement park in UAE. Work included conducting investigative interviews with whistleblowers and suspected employees.
- Led a large international arbitration dispute seated in Paris between two Middle East contractors regarding their major Qatari JV projects.
- Led a dispute in a Stockholm Chamber of Commerce Arbitration, acting for the laimant, an international Hotel Operator in its dispute with a Russian Hotel Owner to opine on the loss of profits and other losses in connection with a terminated operation agreement.
- Led a forensic investigation engagement on behalf of a large Middle East parastatal to assess large scale misappropriation allegations against the former general manager in their contracting subsidiary.
- Led a forensic investigation into a UAE based investment fund to assess fraud and mismanagement allegation against the fund manager in relation to the construction costs of a mega solar project.
- Led a forensic investigation engagement on behalf of the owners of a Pharma entity with operations across several continents. Work involved assessing allegations for fraud by the formerc management.
- Led a forensic investigation on behalf of an African banking group to assess fraud and misrepresentation allegations against a major multinational group in relation to unsettled project funding facilities.
- Appointed expert advisor, acting for an international contractor in a local court matter, to assess contractual breaches committed by the developer and to quantify damages suffered by the contractor.
- Appointed expert advisor, acting for a UAE investor in a local court matter, to assess contractual breaches committed their joint venture partner in an aluminum manufacturing entity and to quantify damages suffered due to the project failure.
- Appointed expert advisor, assisting a local agent of an international contractor with their claim against the contractor before the Abu Dhabi Courts. Work included quantification of the financial compensation due to the local agent as a result of the illegal termination of the agency agreement.
- Appointed expert advisor, acting for an international electronics manufacturer to assist with their claim against their local distributor before local courts.
- Appointed expert advisor, acting for an international airline carrier in a UAE Supreme Union Court matter, to assess the impact of the contractual breaches by their distributor on their overall sales and market share in UAE.
- Managed a large shareholder dispute before the Center for Amicable Settlement of Disputes in Dubai. Our work included assessing various shareholders’ claims and allegations and reporting our findings to the Dubai Court.
- Managed a major Dubai Court shareholder dispute for a multi-national family owned business group. Our work included forensic review of all major transactions over a period of 30 years to assess damages as a result of transactions that have not been performed on an arm’s length basis.
- BS, Accounting and Finance, Hariri Canadian University (HCU)
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) – Middle East top achiever, Member
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
- Member of the UAE Accountants and Auditors Association (UAECA)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb), Associate Member