Experts & Advisors
Senior Managing Director
55 Bishopsgate, 2nd Floor
London, England EC2N 3AS
+44(0)207 4691111 Direct
+44(0)738 8045267 Mobile
Lee Hale is a Senior Managing Director at Ankura based in London. He specializes in all aspects of financial crime and is a proven executive leader with over 20 years of anti-financial crime experience covering retail, wealth, corporate, and investment banking.
Most notably, Lee has performed critical leadership roles in investigating and remediating some of the most high-profile regulatory enforcement actions within financial services. These include a Deferred Prosecution Agreement (DPA), Cease and Desist Orders, Federal Financial Supervisory Authority Orders, and Consent Orders. He has a demonstrable track record of leading high performing, international teams in large and complex financial institutions.
Lee’s focus at Ankura is delivering Anti-Money Laundering (AML), sanctions, bribery and corruption and fraud solutions to clients. He specializes in creatively looking for the most effective and efficient methods to mitigate financial crime risk by using big data, analytics, and artificial intelligence.
Prior to joining Ankura, Lee held executive financial crime roles with Deutsche Bank, HSBC, and Barclays. During Lee’s early career he undertook long term international assignments in Johannesburg and the Middle East.
Lee’s professional experience includes:
- Leading anti-financial crime programs including developing and implementing strategies and target operating models across global financial institutions.
- Implementing global technology projects including customer risk rating engines (8m customers), customer screening solutions (c.60m customers), transaction filtering applications (c.70m transactions per month), and list management utilities.
- Taking accountability for large scale regulatory remediation programs focusing on sanctions, Know Your Customer (KYC), and correspondent banking.
- Creating a global financial crime intelligence unit which proactively assessed wider exposures including laundromats, crypto currencies, and terrorist financing, in addition to performing customer enhanced due diligence (c.500 reports per annum).
- Leading the corporate and investment banking anti-financial crime teams responsible for the provision of AML and KYC advice on clients, transactions, products, and other business initiatives.
- BEng, Hons., Computers, Management and Electronics 2:1, University of Salford
- Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist
- International Compliance Diploma
- Management of Risk Practitioner
- Managing Successful Programs Practitioner
- PRINCE2 Project Management Practitioner