Bockenheimer Anlage 44
60322 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Michael Peters is a Senior Managing Director at Ankura, based in Germany.
He has more than 35 professional years of experience and is a long-standing expert in the field of investigations and prevention of money laundering, terrorist financing and other criminal offences. From 2015 until the end of June 2021, he headed a nationwide Solution Anti-Financial Crime (AFC) unit within two different consulting companies. Based on his outstanding professional career – as a former investigator of the Federal Criminal Police Office (BKA), as deputy head of the Financial Intelligence Unit Germany (FIU), from a five-year executive position in the AFC unit at a major German bank operating internationally, as well as an experienced head of AFC projects – he combines different manager types and views, as an external auditor, an investigator and an international manager.
Michael’s professional experience consists of more than 100 projects and investigation cases, including:
- Leading an international investigation teams as well as support teams in the area of case handling intensive business e.g., identification of contractual partners, know-your-customer, risk classification of customers as well as beneficial owner; processing of internal suspicious cases according to the Money Laundering Act as well as hits in transaction monitoring; checking of correspondent bank relationships for risk content and recommend risk mitigating measures; processing list screening for e.g., sanctions, embargo, PEP or negative media hits.
- Individual advice to management and supervisory bodies, compliance offices and commissioned business units; implementation of new regulatory requirements; identification and elimination of system, control and process weaknesses; review of guidelines and processes for effectiveness and efficiency; optimization of the operational and organizational structure; development of target operating models; support in the establishment of new units; review and adaptation of risk and threat analyses; preparation and implementation of money laundering training concepts; ad-hoc analysis of customer portfolios on hot topics; support in the introduction of uniform group-wide standards etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Administration
- Police Detective Chief Superintendent
- Member of the Association of Criminal Police Officers in the Federal Criminal Police Office (BKA)
- Lecturer at the Frankfurt School of Finance & Management mainly on the topics of prevention of money laundering & financing of terrorism