485 Lexington Avenue, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10017
+1.212.818.1555 Main Get in touch
Philip J. Gund is a Senior Managing Director at Ankura based in New York. He has 39 years of professional experience, including 33 years working with troubled companies and their creditors, investors, and court-appointed officials. He enjoys a national reputation as a restructuring expert and crisis manager forging consensual agreement among diverse parties across a broad range of industries.
Philip has successfully advised and assisted clients on all aspects of the workout process, and he has served as Chief Executive Officer, Chief Restructuring Officer, and Chief Financial Officer in crisis and interim management situations. Additionally, he has served as a Responsible Officer in liquidation matters, and as a member of the board.
Philip serves on the board of directors for Catholic Renewal, a charitable organization providing food and shelter to those in need in the New York area.
Prior to his current position, Philip was a founding principal of Marotta Gund Budd & Dzera LLC. Prior to forming MGBD, Philip was a principal at Zolfo Cooper LLC where he provided consulting services to companies, creditors, investors, and directors in troubled situations.
Philip’s engagements include:
- Served as advisor to the Special Committee of Intelsat Connect Finance, S.A. in the Intelsat Chapter 11 proceeding.
- Advisor to Global Brands Group, an international apparel wholesaler.
- Advisor to the management of a publicly held international full-service restaurant company.
- Advisor to the senior lenders in an international sports related apparel company.
- Advisor to BJ Services Company, a leading provider of field and development production enhancement services in the oil and gas sector.
- Served as CFO of SunEdison Inc. and subsidiaries, one of the largest alternative energy companies in the world. Operating on six continents, SunEdison’s operations included development, construction, maintenance, and management of renewable alternative energy projects worldwide.
- Served as CRO of Vivaro Corporation and subsidiaries, one of the largest pre-paid phone card companies.
- Advisor to the Chapter 11 Trustee in Lehr Construction, one of the largest interior construction companies in the New York area.
- Advisor to Advantage Car Rental.
- Director of Lyle Andersen Properties, a high-end developer of residential golf communities spread across the U.S. and Scotland.
- Advisor to the senior lenders of Ahern Rental, one of the largest high-reach equipment rental companies in the U.S.
- Advisor to Sbarro, one of the largest quick-service pizza providers and franchisors.
- CRO of Russell Newman Inc., a privately held wholesaler of women’s and children’s sleepwear.
- Advisor to the senior lenders of Hilite, a $460 million international auto parts manufacturer.
- Advisor to the senior lenders of Marc Ecko, a $400 million international brand, wholesale, and retail company.
- Advisor to the senior lenders in Morris Communications, a $380 million newspaper, radio, magazine, and specialty publication company.
- President and Chairman of the Board of Global Document Solutions, a printing and document solution company.
- CRO of Cedar and Vicksburg Chemical Companies, herbicide and fertilizer companies and the largest domestic producer of potassium nitrate.
- Interim CEO of Hollywood Tans, a franchisor of tanning salons.
- Interim CFO of Century City Hospital, a specialty surgery medical facility.
- Advisor to Fairmont Chemical Company, a specialty chemical company.
- Interim CFO and Restructuring Officer of American Commercial Lines LLC, one of the largest marine transportation, service, and barge construction companies servicing the inland waterways.
- CEO and CRO of Family Golf, one of the largest owner-operators of golf practice facilities and family entertainment centers.
- Advisor to the management of Daily News to evaluate operations and possible cost reductions during its Chapter 11 proceeding.
- Advisor to the management of Bradlees Stores, Inc. during its Chapter 11 proceeding.