Experts & Advisors
150 North Riverside Plaza, Suite 2400
Chicago, IL 60606
Robert M. Reed is a Managing Director at Ankura based in Chicago. He has over 20 years of experience in the financial service industry as a senior C-suite executive, BSA/AML officer, and operations, compliance, MIS risk, and trading professional. Robert has established regulatory effectiveness groups at global and regional banks and led over 100 anti-money laundering (AML) regulatory examinations with U.S. federal, state, and global regulators, including a challenging written agreement in one instance and consent order in another. Further, he has overseen multiple remediation projects pertaining to compliance findings, and directed global technology projects to enhance automated reporting, AI, and process monitoring. Robert brings a broad perspective and diverse skillset to enhance operations through scalable processes and technology, develop strong programs and concise executive reporting, and solve serious regulatory issues across a wide spectrum of compliance matters.
Robert is a tested leader who has charted and executed sales growth and product expansion at financial institutions while overhauling programs and processes to enhance operational efficiency and controls. He approaches each engagement as if he were the issue owner, with active listening to understand the critical issues. His experience includes securities, AML, transaction monitoring, know your customer (KYC), sanctions, AI analytics, database creation to facilitate board reporting, managing foreign and domestic regulatory exams and audits, developing and enhancing policies and procedures, foreign exchange (FX), futures and options (F&O) trading, trading violation investigations, enterprise risk management (ERM), enterprise governance, risk management and compliance (EGRC) and related software, technology procurement, system integration, money service businesses (MSB), and foreign correspondent banks.
Robert’s professional experience includes:
- Chief Operations Officer for a bank operating at nearly a billion dollars in assets. Reported directly to CEO and was responsible for four departments. Managed bank operations, ensuring synchronized pursuit of corporate objectives, while also guiding managers to achieve underlying business goals. Owned responsibility for the bank’s largest growth area of e-commerce business, including end-to-end electronic funds transfer.
- BSA/AML Officer hired to create and implement a five pillar Bank Secrecy Act (BSA)/AML program and address a consent order regarding various AML weaknesses. Developed the bank’s risk assessment to establish a risk-based approach. Additional program buildouts included tuning the risk scoring methodology for the High-Risk Customer List, implementing new software CSI WatchDog/SafeGuard for OFAC screening, and implementing and tuning the transaction monitoring software (Actimize).
- Capital Markets AML Risk Office global operations and MIS leader for analytics, data management, and reporting of Capital Markets (CM) AML information. Managed teams in the U.S., Canada, Europe, and Asia. Developed a team and managed multiple multi-million-dollar global proprietary technology projects that provided automated reporting, artificial intelligence, and process monitoring to the CM group. Enriched board reporting by developing risk and operational metrics to provide a holistic picture of CM AML risk to enhance decision making. Successfully managed team through migration to new data management system.
- Head of U.S. AML Regulatory Effectiveness for a bank. Served as the dedicated program owner for all U.S.-based regulatory exams and audits. In this role alone, managed 32 regulatory exams providing over 3,000 documents, answering approximately 800 follow-up questions, while hosting approximately 275 meetings with no regulatory findings.
- Managing Director of ERM for a government designated Systematically Important Financial Market Utility. Served as the face of the ERM group to both internal and external stakeholders. Accountable for creation and development of the ERM program and developed the Risk Appetite Framework as outlined by FSB standards providing top-down awareness of risk approved by the board of directors. Chaired the Operational Risk Management Group/Emerging Risk Group. Created multiple groups and reports discussing emerging risks of the organization to provide the chief executives with a forward-looking view of the firm’s risk.
- Stocks, Options, and Mutual Fund Trader that executed various types of strategies for portfolio growth and hedging. Traded for both institutional and private order flow while managing the compliance for the firm at the self-regulated exchange organization. Reviewed and investigated trading ahead, busts, crossing of orders, and fee charges. Also investigated missed fills and proper pricing of trades.
- Futures and Options Investigator tasked with ensuring that exchange rules and regulations, imposed by the Commodities Futures and Trade Commission, were strictly adhered to by traders and brokers on the floor. Additionally, provided trading floor surveillance, conducted investigative interviews, collected research, and evaluated evidence for possible regulation violations governing commodity trading. Provided feedback through investigative reports, evidence presentations, and recommendations concerning appropriate regulatory discipline.
- MBA, University of Notre Dame
- Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist ACAMS
- Association of Certified Money Laundering Specialists
- Board Member Traffick Free