Synergy, East Building, Level 1, Al Malqa
Riyadh 11683, Saudi Arabia
+966 558 694 079 Main
+447733 111 306 Mobile
Sena Gbedemah is a Senior Managing Director at Ankura based in Saudi Arabia. He is focused on construction, specifically reviewing underperforming capital projects and analyzing delay to projects in dispute as a programing/delay expert. He has given evidence as an expert witness in mediation and dispute boards and testified in several arbitrations.
Sena’s professional experience includes:
Process and Power Plants
- Sewage Treatment Plant Dispute ($200 Million): Appointed as the delay expert on an international arbitration relating to a large sewage plant for a large city in the Middle East. Testified before an international arbitration panel which also involved a hot-tubbing session.
- Solar Power Plant Dispute (£90 Million): Gave evidence as a delay expert before an international arbitration (Sir Robert Akenhead) in relation to an extensively delayed solar power plant project in the Middle East.
- LNG FSRU: Advised on project controls and PMO setup for an FSRU EPC in Ghana, West Africa.
- Oil and Gas Facility: Appointed as the delay and quantum expert on an oil and gas facility in Azerbaijan. Testified (including hot-tubbing session) before an LCIA arbitration panel (Sir John Uff).
- Oil Separation Plant Dispute ($110 Million): Prepared independent expert submissions on delay and disruption on an oil and gas separation facility in the Middle East. Acted for the contractor defending a claim made by the insurers of a subcontractor that had since gone into receivership.
- High Technology Paint Batching Plant (£205 Million): Provided independent advice on the causes of delay and disruption to a paint factory which incorporated innovative process technology. The plant was two years late and £102.5 million over budget.
- Cement Plant and Power Plant Dispute ($600 Million): Delay expert on a cement plant and associated power station. Prepared submissions for an international arbitration.
- Propylene Process Plant Arbitration: Appointed by an EPC contractor for a 400,000-metric ton capacity polymer grade propylene plant which was delayed by eight months. Liquidated damages averaged out at $620,000 per week and quantum claims amounted to $220 million.
- Power Station Arbitration (£25 Million): Instructed as expert for EPC contractor on £148 million upgrade of a coal fired power station. Prepared delay and quantum submissions against the employer and defenses against the subcontractor.
Transport & Infrastructure
- Road Tunnel Dispute (€300 Million): Acted for the contractor in submissions (DAB and arbitration) for delay and disruption for a large tunneling project.
- Pre-Dispute Advice Rail Metro System ($10.5 Billion): Delay expert provided pre-dispute advice to consortium constructing and commissioning a new rapid transit system in a large city. Advised on reporting and approach to delay analysis to support extension of time claims.
- International Airport Dispute (Project Value £7 Billion, Dispute Value £1 Billion): Delay expert prepared independent submissions for arbitration proceedings for the terminal building of a new international airport.
- Rail Program and Commercial Review of Major Rail Electrification Project: Reviewed and advised on program and schedule strategy and associated reporting procedures to enable timely and accurate reporting to senior management.
- Rail, Station Control Rooms and Line Control Centers Claim (Value £60 Million Per Year): Provided delay and disruption input for a claim on PPP obligations and liabilities relating to station control rooms and line control centers across the Tube Lines network.
- Rail, CCTV Dispute: Delay and quantum legal support for an (NEC Option A) adjudication and litigation relating to CCTV coverage across the underground network. Dispute value £36 million.
- Rail, Underground Signage Adjudication (£15 Million): Dispute on contractual liabilities (PPP and NEC Option E) in relation to signage on the underground network. Prepared quantum and delay submissions for the adjudication.
- Harbor/Port Dispute: A government port client contracted with a consortium for the construction of a new harbor (two breakwaters and associated structures) which suffered cost and schedule overruns of £62 million and 171 days. Prepared expert submissions to DAP and subsequent arbitration panels.
- High-Rise Building Dispute (£25 Million): Appointed as delay expert for a mediation on a 25-story high-rise building project. The design and build contractor sought damages relating to professional negligence claims against its novated sub-consultant designer.
- Development Dispute (£21 Million): Appointed as delay expert on an exclusive 10-story building project in London. Expert report allowed a settlement to be negotiated between the developer and its contractors.
- Industrial Building Dispute: Supported quantum expert in providing expert opinion on a dispute over the final account for a landmark industrial building project.
- IT Infrastructure and Software (Project £300 Million, Dispute £300 Million): Provided independent advice for negotiation and subsequent arbitration in relation to delay and disruption claims.
- IT Infrastructure Project: Independently reviewed the causes of time and budget overrun on a large IT project in a major UK bank. Also advised on acceleration measures and project process improvements to recover the overrun.
- Legal Practice Course LPC, BPP Law School, London
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Law PgDL, BPP Law School, London
- MSc, Management in Construction, Kingston University, London
- BEng, Hons., Civil Engineering, University of Manchester
- Chartered Civil Engineer CEng MICE
- NEBOSH General and Construction Certificates
- Institution of Civil Engineers CEng MICE, Member