William Siu is a Managing Director at Ankura, based in Vancouver, Canada. He has been working in SE Asia and the Middle East for the past 26 years on international projects spanning five continents.
William has been appointed and testified as an expert witness. He has significant experience working on complex construction disputes in the energy, infrastructure and rail sectors.
William’s professional experience includes:
- Offshore Oil and Gas Production (FSOP), Australia – Assisted on the preparation of the quantum expert report on behalf of the EPC contractor in a $3 billion arbitration dispute where the package contractor walked off the project.
- Rail Project, Malaysia: Provision of claims management services in the compilation and drafting of a loss and expenses claim for the main contractor. The claim included a delay and disruption component which required a high-level analysis. Services included managing the main contractor’s 30 person strong in-house commercial team, providing claim strategy, contractual, and commercial advice.
- Oil and Gas Refinery Pipeline, UAE: Acting on behalf of the sub-contractor to investigate, strategize, and prepare claims regarding a wrongful termination on an oil and gas refinery pipeline project. In total 913km of pipeline of various sizes were to be laid to inter-connect existing refineries.
- Renovation and Extension of an Existing Industrial Building, Singapore: Appointed and testified as the delay expert in an arbitration under the 2006 Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act.
- Mass Transit Railway, Saudi Arabia: Acting on behalf of the main contractor to investigate, strategize, and prepare claims regarding a USD10b rapid transit project consisting of 39 stations.
- Chemical Processing Plant, Singapore: Lead assistant to the programming expert in an expert determination case. The project was a chemical processing plant producing aromatics for the stakeholders including the joint venture partners. The joint venture partners were in dispute and agreed to abide by an expert determination. Working within an extremely challenging schedule, he assisted in the examination of the planned versus actual programme, identifying areas where delay occurred, investigating the cause-effect nexus, and drafting of the report.
- Port Facility, Jordan: Lead assistant to the testifying planning/programming expert witness in a DAB proceeding regarding the termination of the contractor. Supported counsel during the DAB hearing.
- Electrical Transmission Line, Australia: Lead assistant to the testifying quantum expert witness in an arbitration proceeding regarding the recovery of losses, prolongation, and disruption, suffered by the contractor.
- LLM, The Robert Gordon University, Scotland
- PgDip, Hong Kong University, Hong Kong
- BSc, National University of Ireland, UK
- DipTech, British Columbia Institute of Technology, Canada
- Member of Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (CIQS)
- Member of Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB)
- Member of Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb)
- Member of Chartered Institute of Civil Engineer Surveyors
- Society of Construction Law (Hong Kong)
- Society of Construction Law (North America)