Angela Sabbe is a Managing Director based in Los Angeles. She has 20 years of experience advising companies and their counsel on complex data and performing complex, data-intensive financial analyses to determine damages, or potential liabilities for clients in both litigation and privileged consulting capacities. She has extensive experience in all phases of electronic data management including data collection, data validation and quality assessment, detailed data analysis and economic modelling, and synthesis of large volumes of transactional and disparate data. Her specialties include wage and hour class action disputes, timecard and payroll audits, matters involving unreimbursed expenses, healthcare disputes and investigations, consumer protection class actions, and financial investigations.
Angela’s experience includes:
- Regional Banks: Assisted multiple regional banks facing class actions alleging erroneous overdraft fees posting to consumer accounts resulting from the transaction posting order, because fees were assessed when the consumer had not “opted in” under Regulation E, or because of the balance policy used to assess fees. Led teams in the analysis of hundreds of millions of transaction, authorization, refund, and accountholder data to quantify potential exposure. Analyses included replication of actual fees assessed as well as calculation of fees that would have been assessed under alternative posting orders or fee assessment policy.
- Health plan and medical center: Led a data analytics team supporting an investigation related to members allegedly not receiving benefits. Analyzed referral, utilization management, medical and pharmacy claims, and member data in addition to call logs, grievance information, and appeals data to evaluate allegations and quantify the number of potentially impacted beneficiaries. Additional phases of work included evaluating quality of care logs and benchmarking utilization rates of certain providers and facilities to address additional allegations raised during the course of the investigation.
- Healthcare Claims Adjudication: Led a data analytics team supporting an investigation into alleged fraudulent or negligent reporting practices. Work involved determining regulatory and contractual reporting requirements, evaluating internal reporting systems to identify relevant data, and developing the processes and procedures necessary to generate required reports related to utilization management and claims adjudication for Medi-Cal, Medicare, and Commercial payers.
- Consumer Class Action: For multiple national manufacturers, performed complex data analyses of warranty claims data from multiple platforms, sales data, and customer service notes to determine the incident rate of various allegations resulting from an alleged design defect in support of affirmative of rebuttal opinions.
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act: Analyzed over 100 million electronic customer call records in a large class action matter involving TCPA allegations in support of affirmative and rebuttal opinions. On rebuttal, identified significant flaws in plaintiffs’ experts’ data analysis and methodology, resulting in a reduction to claimed TCPA violations by over 60%.
- Large Entertainment – Royalty Dispute and Evaluation of Distribution Fees: Data quality assessment and analysis of allocation of distribution costs for cable and pay television, home video, theatrical, and non-theatrical income. Analysis included tracing revenues and expenses through various domestic and international levels of internal financial reporting, confirming data integrity and areas of potential risk before data was transferred to an external party. Analyzed financial impact of various allocation methodologies for different mediums, including creation of dynamic models to facilitate settlement discussions.
- Service and Construction Technicians – Payroll Audit: Through multiple audits, evaluated employee groups across a variety of geographies, each with its own compensation plan; developed a data repository of timekeeping and payroll data to evaluate payroll compliance with company policies and local labor laws. Work included evaluating the potential financial impact of changes to current pay practices affecting numerous geographies and positions.
- Wage and Hour Violations: For multiple employers in restaurant, retail, healthcare, and manufacturing industries, analyzed time and payroll data to assess potential exposure related to meal and rest period violations, unpaid overtime, unpaid tips, and improperly calculated regular rates, including statutory penalties. Litigation matters have included employees on per diem schedules, alternative work schedules, and employees governed by collective bargaining agreements as well as using alternative data sources as a proxy for employee behavior.
- September 11th Victims Compensation Fund: Site leader in Los Angeles for the Victims Compensation Fund wrongful death adjudication team. Reviewed claims submitted by victims’ families to the September 11th Victims Compensation Fund, established by Congress to compensate families of victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Valued claims using compensation and employer benefits data, insurance policies, social security benefits, workers’ compensation benefits, and pension plans. Created implementation strategies of methodologies for specific employers. Supervised information gathering, valuation of loss of earnings claims, and staff interaction with government and claimant attorneys, including explanations of valuations and methodologies.
- News & events
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation – Consumer Litigation: Recent Developments in Class Action, Roundtable Moderator, 01/30/2017
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation – Consumer Litigation: Working with Experts, Roundtable Panelist, 12/14/2016
Insights & innovation
- “Using Compelling Visuals for Effective Communication in Litigation,” American Bar Association, Section of Litigation – Consumer Litigation, 07/2018, with Jeremy Guinta
- “Calls, Faxes, and Texts: Prior Consent Under the TCPA,” American Bar Association, Section of Litigation – Consumer Litigation, 08/2017, with Zach Merritt
- “Expanded Consumer Protection for Prepaid Accounts by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB),” American Bar Association, Section of Litigation – Consumer Litigation, 03/2017, with Heather Koo
- “Data Privacy and Protection: Considerations When Producing Employment Data,” American Bar Association, Section of Litigation – Labor and Employment, 10/2016, with Jeremy Guinta