Prior to joining Ankura, Anjula was a senior director at FTI Consulting, where she was a member of the forensic accounting & advisory services practice. Anjula was with the anticorruption investigations and compliance practice, where she assisted with the reorganization and strategic business development initiatives of the team. Prior to joining FTI Consulting, Anjula was a partner at Baker & Hostetler LLP in the white-collar defense and corporate investigations practice. She also served as an assistant district attorney in the Queens County District Attorney’s Office.
Anjula’s professional experience includes:
- Serving as part of the leadership team in a court-appointed role as Independent Consultant to a large NY municipality in connection with the resolution of a civil enforcement action brought by the SEC. Role includes: (i) reviewing the municipality’s ethics and compliance programming, particularly related to its securities offerings disclosures, (ii) making recommendations to its programming; (iii) monitoring the municipality’s implementation of the recommendations; and (iv) issuing periodic reports.
- Engaged by a US business and financial services company with a global presence to provide project management and advisory support in connection with the company’s development and implementation of a more risk-responsive, enterprise-integrated, automated, and efficient sanctions compliance program in compliance with the OFAC’s economic and trade sanctions. Provided program office support, reviewed and drafted policies and procedures around key controls, and assessed screening tools and solutions for implementation and operationalization of screening and customer due diligence procedures.
- Served as part of the leadership team in a court-appointed role to provide independent compliance oversight for a $10 billion remedial payments program undertaken by a car manufacturer in connection with a consumer protection and environmental matter arising from consolidated class action litigation as well as Federal Trade Commission, Department of Justice/Environmental Protection Agency, and other government agency enforcement actions.
- Assisted in managing the implementation of a project management office to facilitate the fiscal plan of a government agency by meeting with the agency’s leadership, interviewing key agency employees, and setting up working groups and workplans to support the PMO.
- Served as the marketing and communications project lead for five pre- and post-acquisition integrations. Defined and managed the project timeline and integrtion plan in coordination with multiple cross-functional teams.
- Conducted numerous investigations on behalf of companies in the financial services, pharmaceutical, and healthcare industries regarding accounting irregularities, conflicts of interest, and regulatory compliance matters.
- Responded to governmental subpoenas on behalf of corporate clients, and represented individuals, private entities, and public companies in connection with criminal and regulatory investigations conducted by the DOJ, SEC, and other regulatory agencies.
- Advised corporate clients on optimizing internal controls and corporate governance, revising business codes of conduct, and designing policies and procedures to enhance statutory and regulatory compliance.
- Conducted global investigations of and litigation seeking recovery of fraudulent transfers by banks and foreign feeder funds for equitable distribution to defrauded customers filed by the Securities Investor Protection Act Trustee in relation to the Madoff Ponzi scheme.
- Secured dismissal of a 73-count state indictment alleging a pattern of corrupt activity, money laundering, conspiracy, bribery, and perjury.
- Investigated and made recommendations related to bank compliance during a FDIC examination with sensitivity to bank compliance procedures, EEOC and whistleblower laws.
- Identified aider and abettor liability associated with revenue recognition fraud in multiple investigations concerning a drug distributor while assisting in the creation of a revenue recognition fraud training program.
- Conducted an investigation and advised a client relating to abidance of trade sanctions and voluntary disclosure to the OFAC.
- Assisted in a 10-week, multimillion-dollar products liability and wrongful death trial.
- Assisted in the litigation of numerous intellectual property cases in federal and state court and an international arbitration dealing with domain name theft, misappropriation of trade secrets, and trademark infringement.
- As an ADA, managed felony and misdemeanor caseloads from investigation to trial. Also handled major felony cases through the Major Case & Career Criminal/Gang Violence & Hate Crimes/Supreme Court Trial Bureaus Riding Program.