Prior to joining Ankura, Anjula was a senior director at FTI Consulting, where she was a member of the forensic accounting & advisory services practice in the forensic & litigation consulting segment. Anjula was with the anticorruption investigations and compliance practice, where she assisted with the rebranding, reorganization, and strategic business development initiatives of the team as well as the relaunch of a web-based, third-party due diligence solution. Prior to joining FTI Consulting, Anjula was a partner at the law firm of Baker & Hostetler LLP in the white-collar defense and corporate investigations practice. In addition, Anjula served as an assistant district attorney in the Queens County District Attorney’s Office.
Anjula’s professional experience includes:
- Serving as part of the leadership team in a court-appointed role to provide independent compliance oversight for a $10 billion remedial payments program undertaken by a car manufacturer in connection with a consumer protection and environmental matter arising from consolidated class action litigation as well as Federal Trade Commission, Department of Justice/Environmental Protection Agency, and other government agency enforcement actions.
- Assisted in managing the implementation of a project management office to facilitate the fiscal plan of a government agency by meeting with the agency’s leadership, interviewing key agency employees, and setting up working groups and workplans to support the PMO.
- Conducted numerous investigations on behalf of companies in the financial services, pharmaceutical, and healthcare industries regarding accounting irregularities, conflicts of interest, and regulatory compliance matters.
- Responded to governmental subpoenas on behalf of corporate clients, and represented individuals, private entities, and public companies in connection with criminal and regulatory investigations conducted by the DOJ, Securities and Exchange Commission, and other regulatory agencies.
- Advised corporate clients on optimizing internal controls and corporate governance, revising business codes of conduct, and designing policies and procedures to enhance statutory and regulatory compliance.
- Investigated and made recommendations related to bank compliance during a Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation examination with sensitivity to bank compliance procedures, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and whistleblower laws.
- Conducted global investigations of and litigation seeking recovery of fraudulent transfers by banks and foreign feeder funds for equitable distribution to defrauded customers filed by the Securities Investor Protection Act Trustee in relation to the Madoff Ponzi scheme.
- Secured dismissal of a 73-count state indictment alleging a pattern of corrupt activity, money laundering, conspiracy, bribery, and perjury.
- Identified aider and abettor liability associated with revenue recognition fraud in multiple investigations concerning a drug distributor while assisting in the creation of a revenue recognition fraud training program.
- Conducted an investigation and advised a client relating to abidance of trade sanctions and voluntary disclosure to the Office of Foreign Assets Control.
- Assisted in a 10-week, multimillion-dollar products liability and wrongful death trial.
- Assisted in the litigation of numerous intellectual property cases in federal and state court and an international arbitration dealing with domain name theft, misappropriation of trade secrets, and trademark infringement.
- As the Baker & Hostetler New York pro bono legal services coordinator, represented individuals in civil rights, immigration asylum, death penalty, and divorce and child custody actions.
- As an ADA, managed felony and misdemeanor caseloads from investigation to trial.
- As an ADA, handled major felony cases through the Major Case & Career Criminal/Gang Violence & Hate Crimes/Supreme Court Trial Bureaus Riding Program.