Ben has held corporate and international roles in multi-billion-dollar companies and privately-held businesses, working in such industries as professional services, energy, consumer products, information technology, and commercial finance. Over the past decade, he has also served on the boards of directors at privately-held companies and joint ventures.
Before joining Ankura in 2018, Ben was senior vice president and chief financial officer of Avendra, a leading hospitality procurement-services company. In addition to overseeing all finance functions, he was involved in strategy and handled mergers, acquisitions, and the negotiations of alliances and partnerships. Ben later served as a member of the transaction team on the strategic sale of Avendra to Aramark for $1.35 billion and as the team leader of the integration management office during the transition to new ownership.
Ben previously was at AES Corporation, an international power company, where he oversaw country and regional finances in a series of increasingly senior executive positions. He began his finance career in the consumer products industry, with Haagen-Dazs Company and Philip Morris USA.
Ben’s professional experience includes:
- Financial leadership, AES Corporation:
- Vice President, Global Operations Finance: Provided project management, process standardization, and communications support to the US finance transformation and reorganization initiative.
- CFO, Asia Region: Provided financial support to a $1.9 billion power-plant expansion in India and to a $600 million power-plant expansion in the Philippines. Ben led the divestment and market exit of four businesses in three countries, with gross proceeds of $130 million. He also oversaw the restructuring of the finance operation and its move from Singapore to Manila.
- CFO, Europe, Middle East, & CIS Region: Reorganized and consolidated the finance function into an upgraded regional structure, outsourced transactional accounting and tax compliance activities, and implemented SAP in 5 businesses. Ben also integrated a $150 million UK acquisition, guided the transfer of the European Wind (3 countries) and Jordanian businesses into the region, and led the divestiture and market exit of four other businesses in four countries, with gross proceeds of $320 million.
- Vice President, Financial Planning & Analysis (US): Improved monthly and quarterly reporting by introducing new analytical tools and co-sponsored the project to replace an outdated consolidation system with SAP BPC. Ben integrated previously disparate annual and long-term planning into one, holistic, standardized process. He also co-led the global finance organizational-design team, whose efforts resulted in a regional finance structure.
- CFO, Claraview: Established accounting procedures and controls, monthly financial reporting, quarterly forecasting, annual budgeting, working capital credit line, and cash flow management procedures for a rapidly growing IT business-intelligence consultancy. Ben implemented standardized contract review and reporting procedures and upgraded the accounting system.
- Financial Planning & Analysis Director, World Kitchen Inc.:
- Developed an enhanced, automated, detailed, worldwide, monthly-management reporting and analysis package for the manufacturer of housewares and other products.
- Ben was the team leader in a restructuring and cost-reduction program that trimmed 15 percent from operating expenses.
- In seeking credit modifications, he prepared long-range financial forecasts to reflect the impact of asset divestitures and organizational restructuring.
- Vice President of Finance, Microstrategy:
- Directed the finance, human resources, and administration functions for a 300-employee subsidiary. Ben instituted detailed annual budgeting, monthly/quarterly forecasts, and long-range projections that determined cash flow and profitability objectives as well as financial statement preparation, reporting, and analysis to the board of directors and investors.
- He successfully closed the operation with an orderly wind-down that minimized the impact on customers and maximized cash balances back to the parent company.
- Vice President of Planning and Analysis, Unicapital Corporation: Established the budget, strategic planning, and financial management reporting processes. Ben also instituted the processes for preparing and reviewing quarterly results with analysts, investors, and bankers.