He has spent his entire professional career counseling and advising healthcare providers, suppliers, practitioners, manufacturers, and health plans. Having served as a former attorney for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Brian is well-informed in matters affecting healthcare entities. In addition, he has significant experience in matters involving health information and data privacy.
Brian’s professional experience includes the following:
- Assisted with healthcare regulatory compliance, including the Stark Law, the federal Anti-Kickback Statute, the federal False Claims Act, Medicare conditions of participation and coverage, and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, as amended.
- Conducted internal compliance investigations.
- Recently served as the interim clinical compliance director during a period of change and transition for a state-sponsored academic medical center’s clinical compliance program. He introduced system and management changes to help the enterprise stabilize the program for long-term success.
- Assisted an academic medical center in the negotiation and implementation of a HIPAA resolution agreement and a corrective action plan with the Office for Civil Rights, US Department of Health & Human Services.
- Regularly assists clients in evaluating and assessing financial arrangements with physicians and referral sources, to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulatory constructs.
- Led a team of professionals functioning as an independent review organization for a healthcare entity operating under a corporate integrity agreement with the Office of Inspector General, US Department of Health & Human Services.
- Led a team of professionals functioning as board compliance experts for a healthcare entity operating under a corporate integrity agreement with the OIG for the DHHS.
- Regularly assists organizations and outside counsel with compliance/regulatory due diligence evaluations in conjunction with acquisitions and sales.