John L. Baltz is a Senior Director at Ankura, based in Nashville, with more than 30 years in healthcare finance, analytics, operations, and consulting. He leads teams to solve highly complex business challenges, drawing on his project and change leadership skills and expertise in revenue cycle management, strategic planning, data integration, and process design. John is adept at transforming complex data into decision-driving information and coordinating seamlessly across finance, technology, and operational groups.
John was previously a principal consultant with Arcadia Healthcare Solutions and earlier held senior managerial positions for a variety of healthcare companies. His healthcare career has been comprehensive, encompassing the complete industry lifecycle, including practice administration, billing and EHR hosting service, and claims processing. He is well-versed in application integration, revenue cycle management, healthcare analytics, and business integration.
John’s professional experience includes:
- Revenue Cycle Transformation, Health System: Served as a client-facing contact responsible for supporting the transition from current- to future-state work processes for all up-front collections and payment plan initiations. John designed the optimal combination of tools, processes, people, and industry standards for successful ongoing business operations while strengthening patient relationships. These efforts increased net collection rates by $8 million across 16 facilities and boosted operating profitability by reducing write-off rates, first-pass denials, and the costs to collect.
- Performance Improvement, Health System: Provided structure and organization around acquisitions and process to implement all productivity and reporting tools. John evaluated several regions’ performance then standardized workflow, auditing, and reporting processes.
- Episode-Based Payment Initiatives, Health System: Represented case management on a multi-disciplined team assessing payment models at 57 facilities. John led efforts to build integrated patient workflows supported by existing and newly developed technology, including coordinating with third-party vendors.
- Strategic Technology Planning, Health System: Led the creation of an enterprise information management strategy to address the current state and desired future state with a timetable to maintain the competitive advantages at a Pioneer Accountable Care Organization. John created the governance for implementing the plan over multiple years at the executive
- Analytics Platform Development, Analytics Services: Designed operational metric sourcing and reporting for new analytics application used by federally qualified health centers (FQHC). John provided subject matter expertise on bringing raw data into finished dashboard and analytics tools. He created an analytics spectrum that integrated and cross-referenced measures from financial, clinical, satisfaction reporting, and quality
- Integrated Performance Dashboard, Health System: Architected the integration of disparate data sets into efficient, accurate processing in a dashboard designed to reduce costs, increase quality, and improve the care experience. The project covered 720,000 members across 32 clinical locations and reduced the overall per-member per- month cost PMPM by more than $3.