Katie spent two years on assignment in the United Kingdom, expanding the global analytics initiative through client delivery, technology deployment, and business development. During her time abroad, she oversaw the design and application of analytics workflows, including machine learning, threading, and predictive coding to assist clients with review, analysis, and productions.
Prior to her international assignment, Katie was part of the steering committee that developed, tested, and marketed a proprietary machine-learning solution called NavAnalytics while at Navigant Consulting. She has worked in conjunction with colleagues on innovative uses of analytics and machine learning applied to non-traditional data sources.
Katie has experience in managing a suite of matters for enterprise clients. She has been responsible for overseeing the development of client playbooks and standardizing procedures for clients across law firms and matters. She has worked with some of the largest financial institutions in the world, dealing with complex investigations, regulatory inquiries, and litigation.
Katie’s professional experience includes:
- Regulatory inquiries regarding bribery, corruption, money laundering, mergers, and securities
- Fraud Investigations in financial, pharmaceutical, and technology sectors
- Internal investigations into hiring practices, employment issues, and bribery
- Litigation covering breach of contract, patent infringement, and intellectual property
- Cross-border cartel investigations, regulatory inquiries, and litigation
Katie’s project experience includes:
- Assisted client in identifying documents with protected health information (PHI) to comply with HIPAA. Deployed a predictive model to locate documents that did not hit on various other search techniques.
- Led the process to help a financial services client use predictive coding to eliminate over 350,000 documents, resulting in a savings of over $450,000 in contract lawyer fees for review.
- Deployed both supervised and unsupervised learning to assist global law firm with review of documents. Culling and analytic techniques allowed one person to complete review of less than 1% of the document population to uncover critical documents breaking the grounds for investigation.
- Managed the processing, hosting, review, and production for over 35 matters for a large global financial services organization with various non-traditional data sources (audio, chat, instant messaging).
- Managed the review and production of over 13 terabytes of data for a Fortune 20 global financial services firm in defense of mortgage back securities litigation. Oversaw multiple document review work streams involving multiple contract review and outside counsel teams for the over 21 million documents in the hosted review platform. Tracked the different review and production approaches for each matter and provided regular detailed status reports. Productions totaled over 70 million pages.
- Consulted with outside counsel representing a retail conglomerate to design and execute a defensible strategy to processing and review for four litigation matters, including bankruptcy proceedings. Assisted in drafting culling strategy to reduce 2.6 terabytes of data down to 415 gigabytes for review. Oversaw production of 260 gigabytes, over 3.4 million pages, of data. Created and managed production repository holding 176 productions from opposing parties.
- Performed detailed analysis and documentation of Fortune 100 technology company’s collection and processing procedures. Advised client on existing gaps and created best practices documentation to be used by all outside counsel on future engagements.
- Provided project management support to outside counsel for an SEC investigation of an accounting firm. Implemented quality control procedures for review and production of documents and privilege log creation. Provided oversight of the review of data for 100 custodians totaling over 13 million pages and production of over two million pages.
- Advised the Fortune 100 corporate legal department of a major retail conglomerate for seven years on cases involving securities litigation, patent infringement, employment dispute, and breach of contract. Developed cost estimates for future litigation based upon historical case data. Worked with both the corporate legal department and their outside counsel to identify and develop a set of best practices for all litigation.
- Provided overall project management assistance in the collection, review, and production for a large HSR second request involving the merger of two Fortune 100 telecommunications companies. Worked with over 400 attorneys on the use of the web-based review tool; developing metric reports and evaluating the progress of the review; managing all aspects of the review of over 30 million pages in eight weeks; managing production of approximately three million pages; and performing quality control, including the design of a statistical sampling plan for the production population.