Maddie Mann is Deputy General Counsel and Senior Managing Director at Ankura, based in London, where she oversees the legal and compliance function for the Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) region. Maddie brings dual legal qualifications, having practiced in the US and the UK, as well as significant experience with technology, telecoms, mergers and acquisitions, compliance, investigations, privacy/data governance, and employment law matters. Over the course of her career, she has served as senior in-house counsel of FTSE 100 companies and worked in private practice at two UK City law firms and in the US with a leading Silicon Valley law practice.
Prior to joining Ankura, Maddie was the vice president legal, EMEA of Polycom, a global US technology corporation, where she managed a cross-border legal team for several years and served as a member of the company’s EMEA executive leadership team. She also served as legal representative on its information security review board which had reporting oversight of cybersecurity, data governance, incident response, and privacy matters. She is an IAPP certified privacy professional (CIPM, CIPP/E).
Maddie’s legal and compliance experience includes:
- Commercial and Technology Transactions: Negotiated contracts for cloud-based/SAAS solutions offerings and EMEA channel partner and global service provider agreements as well as complex managed services agreements and technology contracts.
- General Data Protection Regulation: Served as global legal lead for a US company, advising on all aspects of its GDPR compliance program roll-out, covering training, policies, and procedures, including incident response exercises and data governance.
- Compliance and Risk Assessments: Worked closely with internal audit and compliance teams to implement corporate governance policies and controls. Maddie conducted anti-corruption and conflict of interest training for internal teams and partners, with onsite sessions in Europe, Russia, and the Middle East. She also has helped design and implement frameworks for anti-money laundering efforts and anti-corruption programs.
- Anti-Trust and European Union Competition Law: Advised on channel partner programs, EU competition, market dominance, and pricing issues.
- Export Controls and Trade Sanctions: Oversaw the roll out of compliance/due diligence reviews to address EU and US export controls and Russian sanctions.
- Capital Markets: Assisted with the initial public offerings in the US of technology companies based in Silicon Valley and securities offerings in the UK, including advising a national brewing group on its listing on the London Stock Exchange.
- Mergers and Acquisitions: Advised on deals including a Swedish telecom giant’s purchase of a Polish company and a Canadian-listed company’s acquisition of a UK group with an Italian subsidiary. Maddie also worked on the acquisition and subsequent integration of European operations for US corporates, including representing a NYSE-listed corporation in its merger with UK company and in the foreign takeover of a UK listed group of companies using a mix of cash, stock, and debt.
- International Joint Ventures and Project Financing: Worked on shareholder alliance and corporate governance documentation, co-operation, joint development, and commercial agreements as Vodafone’s in-house senior international joint-venture (JV) lawyer. In private practice, Maddie also represented a telecoms project company in liaising with international banks to secure $500 million in project financing for its mobile operator JV in Poland.
- Employment Matters: Oversaw several litigation matters across multiple EU jurisdictions and advised on complex negotiations with EU works councils. Her in-house experience has included advising on large-scale cross-border organizational restructurings and change-management processes. She has also advised on, and acted as a champion of, corporate diversity and inclusion initiatives.