Michael Stokes is a Senior Managing Director at Ankura, based in London. He is an internationally recognized quantum expert, with more than 30 years of experience in the construction industry. Michael has worked across all industries, but his core areas of expertise include rail (systems and rolling stock), power and process plants, pipelines, offshore platforms, stadia, major commercial buildings, including high-rise, and major infrastructure projects including ports, highways, tunnels, and airports.
He is regularly appointed as an independent expert on complex and high-value disputes. His core discipline is quantum, but he has also provided effective evidence in relation to delay and the standard of performance of quantity surveyors and project managers. Having been instructed in arbitration or litigation on more than 50 occasions, Michael has testified in a number of forums and jurisdictions including the UK, France, Denmark, UAE, Qatar, and Australia.
Michael’s expert experience includes the following sample matters:
- Major Pipeline Project, Middle East: Appointed on behalf of the government project sponsor as quantum expert in connection with 350 km water pipeline and well field (55 production wells) project dispute. Provided independent evidence in Uncitral proceedings regarding all quantum aspects of the case including valuation of variations, delay, disruption, and acceleration. Testified at hearing in Paris.
- Major Pipeline Project, Australia: Appointed on behalf of the contractor as quantum expert in connection with 530 km 42” diameter gas pipeline project dispute. Provided independent quantum evidence in ICC proceedings regarding all quantum aspects of the case including valuation of variations, delay, disruption, and acceleration, as well as a quantum meruit claim. Testified at hearing in Australia including giving concurrent evidence.
- Cement Plant, Qatar: Appointed as quantum expert on behalf of the plant owner of a new 5000 TPD cement plant in Qatar. Claims related to unpaid certificates, variations and prolongation, and other delay related claims and counterclaims, total sums in dispute were in excess of US$100 million. Testified at ICC arbitration hearing in Qatar including giving concurrent evidence.
- Sewage Treatment Works, Qatar: Quantum expert on behalf of main contractor in connection with major subcontractor termination claims. Claims related to value of works at termination and claims and counterclaims arising from termination. Testified in ICC arbitration in London (English law), including giving concurrent evidence. Claims values in excess of US$50 million.
- Super-Yacht, Northern Europe: Appointed as quantum expert on behalf of the Yard in connection with a claim related to the world’s largest wind assisted yacht. Claims related to the proper valuation of the works. Testified at hearing in London.
- Port Facility Expansion Project, Middle East: Quantum expert appointed in an ICC arbitration in connection with a container port expansion project in the Middle East. Complex quantum issues arose regarding substantial costs to complete and the terminated contractor’s damages. Claims and counterclaims total circa US$50 million. Testified at hearing in London.
- Metro System, Europe: Quantum expert appointed to work on behalf of international joint venture. Led the entire claims team in the preparation of delay and quantum case; drafted technical pleadings relating to loss and expense, including complex disruption claims (cumulative impact) as well as a modified total cost claim (presented in the alternative). Evidence given in two separate hearings, one concerning a preliminary disclosure related issue, the other concerning the substantive quantum dispute. Claims value circa £100 million.
- Major Highway, Qatar: Appointed as quantum expert on behalf of a major subcontractor providing all the flexible pavement works on a major new highway in Qatar. Issues related to method of measurement, materials quantities, delay, and disruption costs. Testified at ICC hearing in Qatar (claims values circa £35 million).
- International Airport, Middle East: Quantum expert in connection with specialist airport services package on a major international airport expansion project. High value claims related to disputed variations and contra charges, prolongation, and complex disruption. Testified at DIAC hearing including giving evidence concurrently.
- Commercial Properties, Moscow: Quantum expert appointed on behalf of a development company in dispute with its contractor. Claims related to two separate contracts, shell and core and fit out, and concern alleged defective works, contract omissions, prolongation, and disruption. Claims in excess of US$100 million. Testified at ICC hearing in London.
- 5 Star Hotel, UAE: Quantum expert appointed on behalf of mechanical and electrical subcontractor. Case related to disputed variations and delay and disruption costs for a new hotel project in the UAE. Claim value circa £20 million. Testified at arbitration hearing in Dubai.
Honors & awards
- Who’s Who Legal says: “Michael Stokes is ‘very highly regarded’ for quantum and delay matters, with interviewees lauding him as ‘an excellent expert witness’.”
- News & events