Michele Martin is a Senior Managing Director with experience in oil & gas investments and operations based in Dallas. Prior to joining Ankura, Michele was the business development leader for Auburn Energy and was integral in growing that business from a start-up to providing oil and gas contract operations and technical advisory services on behalf of creditors, financial sponsors, and E&P companies. Michele began her career with General Electric where she was responsible for the underwriting and closing over $1.4 billion in oil and gas equity and debt investments. She has held positions of increased responsibility in all phases of the investment lifecycle including managing over $500 million in troubled energy investments.
Michele’s experience includes:
- Managing Director, Auburn Energy Management. Responsible for all aspects of marketing and business development for a new full-service contract operations and technical advisory business unit within the Sierra Hamilton Company (later merged with New Tech Global )
- Oversaw the development and implementation of the business strategy that grew the business from start-up to approximately $13 million in revenue.
- Established key industry relationships that resulted in repeat business and $2.5 million in 2019 revenue across three separate projects.
- Launched a comprehensive marketing program that included digital marketing, print advertising, industry organizations, events, and podcasts.
- Led business development efforts across multiple channels including financial advisors, private equity, lenders, and E&P companies.
- Senior Vice President, Oil & Gas Equity and Debt Origination, GE Energy Financial Services
- Led business development efforts in the Dallas-Fort Worth market. Responsible for sourcing equity and debt transactions and managing all phases of deal execution.
- Originated and structured a Limited Partnership Investment with an affiliate of Vess Oil Corporation for the acquisition of oil and gas reserves in East Texas from EnerVest, Ltd. for $108 million.
- Sourced over $2 billion in new investment opportunities including unitranche debt, preferred equity and Limited Partnership equity structures.
- Established a strong marketing presence in the market focused on middle market E&P companies, banks, strategic financing partners and private equity firms.
- Senior Vice President, Oil & Gas Equity Portfolio, GE Energy Financial Services
- Executive portfolio manager responsible for over $500 million in assets under management, which included troubled equity accounts and the entire oil and gas unitranche debt portfolio.
- Collaborated with equity general partners to execute development programs and evaluate optimal exit strategies.
- Executed a joint development agreement with a well-capitalized industry partner to raise over $30 million in third party capital and launched a horizontal drilling program targeting the Cotton Valley sand reservoir in East Texas.
- Coordinated with equity general partners to initiate over $100 million in accretive capital development projects.
- Led the divestiture of a partnership investment through a broadly marketed auction process and negotiated the Purchase and Sale Agreement which resulted in a total return on investment 36% above original expectations.
- Initiated a drilling JV at an under-performing equity investment which increased production by over 50% and led a review of strategic alternatives for the partnership resulting in an exit with a $7.3 million after-tax gain.
- Syndicated 45% of a $105 million unitranche debt facility and negotiated an amended credit agreement.
- Senior Vice President, Oil & Gas Equity Underwriting, GE Energy Financial Services
- Leadership position focused on the evaluation and structuring of new oil and gas equity investment opportunities.
- Responsible for leading the analysis and evaluation for over $6 billion of new investment opportunities annually managing a team of four investment professionals.
- Conducted technical and valuation analysis, obtained investment committee approval, led due diligence, and negotiated Purchase and Sale and Partnership Agreement documents for five new limited partnerships with total investment exceeding $400 million.
- Received Impact Award from GE Energy Financial Services Chief Risk Officer as an outstanding mentor for the analyst program.
- Led the successful restructuring for one of GE’s limited partnerships that included acquiring the General Partner interest and other oil and gas reserves through a 363 sale process.
- News & events