Philip M. Spinelli is a Senior Managing Director at Ankura, based in New York. As a mechanical engineer with more than 20 years of experience in the management, oversight, and analysis of construction and manufacturing projects, Philip has performed forensic and proactive investigations and has developed risk management strategies on some of the largest and most complex projects throughout North America. He has expertise in dispute resolution consulting in the areas of project schedule delay analysis, errors and omissions reviews, productivity analysis, disputed extra work reviews, construction cost accounting, and damages quantification. He has authored multiple expert reports and has presented his findings at negotiations, mediations, depositions, and arbitration.
Philip’s professional experience includes:
- Mine Processing Facility: Analyzed schedule delay and cost overruns related to the design and construction of a potash mine processing facility in Saskatchewan. This matter was settled prior to arbitration.
- Gas Processing Plant: Assisted counsel in the analysis of schedule delay claims asserted against the mechanical contractor of a natural gas processing facility in British Columbia. This matter was resolved with a favorable arbitration decision.
- Construction Oversight: Provided project management oversight for the design and construction of a custom home in Connecticut. Services include A/E selection, CM selection, project coordination, and schedule and cost monitoring.
- Gas Pipeline Construction: Analyzed a schedule delay and lost productivity claim presented by the contractor responsible for the construction of a 560-kilometer natural gas pipeline in Mexico. This matter was resolved through negotiation.
- Commuter Rail Expansion Project: Provided schedule delay analysis of the civil construction and software integration of the Dulles Metro Rail expansion in Virginia.
- Multi-Family Construction Oversight: Provided project management oversight for the construction of a multi-family residential construction project in Greenwich, CT. Services include CM selection, project coordination, and schedule and cost monitoring.
- University Laboratory and Cleanroom Building: Analyzed schedule delay claims presented by the construction manager of a laboratory and cleanroom building located on an Ivy League university campus. Prepared expert reports related to several schedule delay claims.
- Elementary School Renovation Projects: Provided an expert report and deposition testimony responding to schedule delay claims related to the renovation of five elementary schools located in Clark County, NV.
- Medical Research Building: Analyzed schedule delay claims related to the construction of a university medical research building located in the state of New York. Presented findings at several negotiation meetings.
- Law School Construction: Analyzed schedule delay incurred on this law school and dormitory project located in New York. Included the analysis of claims from the surety that completed the project following the termination of the electrical contractor. This matter was settled at mediation.
- World Trade Center Redevelopment: Performed a forensic analysis of the cause and magnitude of budgetary changes throughout the first 10 years of the World Trade Center program. Evaluated exposures to the completion of the program and developed a revised estimate-to-complete the program.
- NFL Design-Build Stadium Project: Managed the review of an errors and omissions claim against the design team by the design-builder of Gillette Stadium located in Foxborough, MA.
- Chemical Processing Plant: Provided an evaluation of cost overruns related to the construction of a flame-retardant processing plant located in Eldorado, AK. Findings were used to close out the design and construction contracts.
- Central Artery Project: Prepared a claim on behalf of the electrical contractor responsible for installing the components and associated wiring of the intelligent highway system for the Central Artery / Tunnel project. This matter was resolved through mediation.
- Advanced Train Control System: Prepared a schedule delay analysis associated with the development and installation of the train control system for the San Francisco MUNI. Analysis findings were utilized in settlement discussions.
- Assisted Living Design and Construction: Provided an expert report quantifying damages incurred as a result of deficient mechanical design of the HVAC system of this assisted living facility construction project in Southbury, CT. This matter was settled during arbitration.
- Airport Terminal: Led a team of consultants in the review of an errors and omissions claim made against the design team and construction manager of the JFK International Airport terminal 4 project.
- University Dormitory Project: Performed a detailed analysis of the schedule delays incurred on the project. Performed reviews of the monthly schedule updates. Evaluated the increased project costs caused by design errors and omissions. Findings were used in dispute negotiations.
- Floating Production, Storage & Off-Loading Facilities: Performed a schedule delay analysis that identified and quantified delays, disruption, and acceleration in the design and construction of two FPSO vessels. Analyzed the work force productivity associated with various aspects of the component construction.
- News & events
- Construction Management Association of America, 08/08/2013, “Common Mistakes Owners & Contractors Make That Cause Disputes”
- Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering (AACE), 05/13/2013, “Mitigation of Construction Risk: A National Industry Study”
- WPL Publishing Co., Inc., 03/13/2013, “Common Mistakes Owners & Contractors Make That Cause Disputes”
Insights & innovation
- “Pacing Delays – The Practical Effect on Construction Projects & Delay Claims,” Navigant Construction Forum, 06/09/2014, with James Zack