Robert Unell is a Managing Director with Ankura, based in Atlanta. Robert provides real estate investors, developers, and lenders with financial and other advisory services such as asset and transaction strategies, valuation management, due diligence, and financial feasibility studies. With expertise in troubled and distressed assets, he supports clients in debt restructurings as well as in litigation. Robert has testified in both state and federal courts on matters that have included Chapter 7 and Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.
Prior to joining Ankura, Robert was a senior director in the real estate asset group of the consultancy Alvarez & Marsal. He previously served as a senior vice president at Bank of America’s real estate managed assets group. In that position he was responsible for workout and disposition strategies for commercial real estate assets and oversaw the resolution of more than $3 billion in distressed assets of all types. Robert began as a client manager in the bank’s commercial real estate banking group, handling a homebuilder and residential development loan portfolio that exceeded $100 million annually.
- Robert’s representative experience includes:
- Analyzed an alleged breach of the right of first refusal and the cost associated with obtaining market rate financing.
- Performed interest-rate analysis and loan-term review for various lenders in all aspects of the capital stack.
- Advised on real estate risk-management policies and lending guidelines for a regional bank.
- Retained by the advisory board of a land fund to assess the disposition strategy of more than $250 million of assets.
- Performed underwriting and due diligence on real estate secured loans for a national lending platform.
- Assisted a regional restaurant group with the optimization of real estate assets.
- Implemented policies and procedures on a portfolio of more 9,000 real estate-secured loans for a national lender.
- Negotiated leases and store closures, among other real estate support, in the bankruptcy proceedings of a restaurant chain with more than 125 locations.
- Provided third-party reviews of appraisals, Phase I ESA, and property condition reports for commercial mortgage-backed securities lenders, life insurance lenders, and banks.
- Evaluated the real estate investment model and returns for a private equity firm.
- News & events
- ABA Business Law Section Annual Meeting 2018, 09/14/2018, “The Changing Landscape for Real Estate Finance—Golf Courses, Retail, Office Building, Healthcare, and Other Spaces That Need to Be Repurposed”