2963 Sidco Drive, Suite 101
Nashville, TN 37204
Corey Smith is a Senior Managing Director at Ankura, located in the Nashville office. He has more than 20 years of experience in strategic planning, optimizing business processes, leading critical-growth projects, and achieving cost reductions. He works with leadership and key stakeholders to structure meaningful initiatives, including major business transformation programs, to maximize value creation. Corey has collaborated with Fortune 1000 businesses and private equity-backed companies across industries, including financial services, manufacturing, distribution, healthcare, retail, and technology.
Prior to Ankura, he was a manager with Deloitte’s strategy and operations practice, working with clients across the retail banking, mortgage banking, and payments sectors. Corey previously had held several strategy roles at Bank of America, where he was also the inventor behind multiple patents related to global-delivery planning and modeling. He began his career as an automotive engineer with Nissan North America.
Corey’s professional experience includes:
- Acquisition Integration, Health and Wellness Company: Led the design and implementation of a culture and change management office for a $1.3 billion acquisition of a leading wellness company. Partnered with the C-Suite to develop a combined corporate mission, vision, and vales. Implemented a culture and change champions program across the company. Developed culture and change scorecard and action plans to guide the integration.
- Acquisitions Integration, Distribution Company: Led a private-equity-backed client in planning the merger of four acquired businesses into one $100 million unit. He led efforts to define the parameters of and goals for the combined entity’s workstreams, set milestones for the integration process, and outlined specific tasks, including the implementation of enterprise resource planning and standardized product offerings and prices.
- Enterprise Resource Planning, Technology Company: Developed a program for a spin-off from a corporate parent. Corey led his team, the client, and the system-solutions provider in creating the implementation plan, driving data cleansing and loading efforts, and guiding the transition and launch.
- IT Effectiveness Assessment, Global Behavioral Health Company: Analyzed effectiveness from a people and process perspective, interviewing C-level executives, division presidents, and IT staff to define key themes and identify gaps. Corey developed a future-state capability model and made recommendations based on that model, along with an action plan. He studied the company’s IT investment plans to refine the analysis further and presented the findings directly to the president and chief information officer.
- Growth Initiatives, Behavioral Health Company: Helped a private-equity-backed client devise a detailed plan to expand key operations in order to meet aggressive growth objectives. Efforts included a new CRM system, standardizing the process for opening clinics, launching new products and services, and introducing a data and analytics program. In 12 months, the client doubled the size of its clinic network and reported a 50 percent increase in revenue.
- Anti-Money-Laundering Program Office, Global Financial Services Firm: Led the development of an action plan to comply with a wholesale banking consent order. Corey implemented such key program-management processes as decision tracking and established quality assurance reviews to demonstrate compliance with the action plan.
- Core Services Evaluation, Regional Bank: Led the analysis of the bank’s deposits, commercial and retail loans, and mortgage businesses to understand the future-state needs of each business segment. His work included solution demonstrations, the development and scoring of information and proposal requests, and creating the business case for a proposed $200 million investment.
- Mortgage Settlement Advisory, Financial Institution: Supported a banking client in assessing plans for multi-faceted program under the bank’s $500 million settlement with the Department of Justice. He reviewed credit-calculation models and created a tool to determine staffing needs. Corey also helped develop plans to verify compliance with the settlement terms.
- Strategic Planning, Regional Bank: Analyzed a commercial and retail bank’s capabilities in relation to its strategic priorities and linked that analysis to the investment portfolio to identify gaps. Corey assisted the chief strategy officer in preparing the report to present to the board.
- Mortgage Relief Program, Retail Bank: Led a team of 25 consultants and client staff in designing, planning and implementing a mortgage modification project, per a settlement with the Department of Justice. The work covered capacity and controls, change readiness, and executive communications. Over three years, the bank extended $5 billion in relief, in compliance with the settlement terms.
- Process Analysis, Mortgage Servicer: Analyzed the client’s current capabilities and future technology needs to assess whether a proposed new system would support the customer base.
- MBA, Vanderbilt University, Owen Graduate School of Management
- BS, Mechanical Engineering, Tennessee Tech University
- Project Management Professional