Experts & Advisors
Senior Managing Director
HKRI Center Tower 1, Level 20, 288 Shimen 1st Road, Jing’an District
Shanghai, China 200041
Han Lai is a Senior Managing Director at Ankura based in Shanghai. He has more than 20 years of international consulting experience, specializing in digital forensic investigation and cybersecurity breach advisory, and has, for the last 10 years, worked for consulting practices in Greater China.
Han has extensive practical experience assisting international corporations, external legal counsel, and law enforcement agencies across the UK, U.S., and Asia Pacific regions in performing technology fraud investigation, intellectual property theft investigation, commercial disputes, international arbitration, regulatory non-compliance, criminal offense investigation, search order execution, commercial and residential raid operation, electronic discovery and litigation support, network intrusion investigation, network security assessment, and cyber breach incident response.
Han is a regular speaker at various international conferences on topics related to digital forensic investigation, cybersecurity, data privacy, and China Cybersecurity and Data Security Law, and has provided training to law firms and law enforcement agencies in the UK and Asia Pacific regions.
Han is an active certified forensic examiner of the ISFCE for the past two decades. He has testified in the UK Court and U.S. District Court as an expert witness in digital forensics and has provided expert statements to courts and law enforcement agencies for civil litigation and criminal prosecution.
Han speaks native English and Mandarin Chinese.
His professional experience includes:
- FCPA Investigation: Led a year-long complex investigation for potential U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) violations related to marketing and promotional activities. The project involved multiple complex data sources and cross-border jurisdictions.
- U.S. District Court (Northern California) Appointed Forensic Neutral Expert: Provided forensic neutral expert analysis, testimony, and cross examination in a deposition related to the evidence spoliation dispute for a high-profile U.S./China trade secret theft litigation (Weride Corp. et al, V. Kun Huang et al).
- UK Court Computer Forensic Expert Witness: Provided forensic analysis, expert testimony, and cross examination to give electronic evidence in court related to document fabrication allegation for a payment fraud case.
- Cyber Incident Response: Response to a malware and phishing attack on a financial institute’s network. Successful incident response assisted client to avoid the potential financial impact and public relationship crisis.
- Cybersecurity Assessment: Led a cybersecurity assessment for an international automotive auction house, performed network penetration testing on various in-house developed web application servers, database, and hosted VMware virtual machines. Effective penetration testing identified serious design flaws existed in the web application and network configuration, which had prevented a potential critical cross-border cyber breach and avoided financial impacts.
- MSc, Information Security, Royal Holloway, University of London, UK
- International Society of Forensic Certified Examiners (ISFCE)
- Certified Computer Examiner (CCE)
- SANS GIAC Certified Forensic Analyst (GCFA)
- Check Point Certified Administrator (CCSA)
- International Society of Forensic Computer Examiners (ISFCE)
- High Technology Crime Investigation Association (HTCIA)