John Hamilton is a Managing Director at Ankura, based in Nashville, with more than 25 years of experience partnering with clients to develop and carry out strategic initiatives. Over the course of his career, John has worked across the healthcare, construction, and manufacturing industries as well as with government and public sector entities and higher education institutions.
John joined Ankura with the firm’s 2018 acquisition of c3/consulting. There, he partnered with clients to develop multi-year strategic plans and led teams in the implementation of large, complex projects and programs that impact multiple business units. Prior to his work at c3, John held positions in strategy and operations consulting, training, marketing, and business development. He began his business career after serving seven years in the US Navy as a Supply Officer.
John’s professional experience includes:
- Change Management, Financial Services: Led a team of three consultants coordinating change-management activities related to the worldwide implementation of an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system at a $2 billion company specializing in financing and insurance for manufacturers.
- Electronic Medical Record Implementation, University Hospital System: Managed a five-person team on a $200 million project, leading the ambulatory surgery, acute care, technical, and research departments in the switch to digital recordkeeping.
- Healthcare Technology Maturity Model, Health System: Developed a custom technology maturity model to evaluate individual hospital’s nursing technology. John then provided recommendations for future technology upgrades at the hospital and system levels.
- Healthcare IT Strategy, Hospital System: Advised the Chief Information Officer and the director of the enterprise project management office on ways to improve the Informatics IT department’s operations. John focused on such processes as product cataloguing, contracting, and resource planning.
- Coding Project Management, Medicare Advantage Healthcare Payer: Led a four-year effort across multiple business units for a payer who was converting operations nationwide to the ICD-10 medical diagnosis and procedure classifications. The project encompassed business services and claims processing, patient clinics, vendor management, communications, and training. John served as the key lead at the command center, monitoring business operations after the project went live.
- Process Optimization, Medicare Advantage Payer: Analyzed businesses processes to identify the areas impacted by ICD-10. For 10 key processes, John created detailed process flows and narratives, highlighting the affected systems, applications, and vendors. He also identified business requirements for updating the claims systems software.
- Business Development Strategy, MBA Program: Led efforts to expand recruiting relationships for a top-30-ranked MBA program. John created a database to identify potential recruiting partners. He initiated outreach and communications, introduced tracking processes, and coordinated the efforts of two staff members. The program saw an 18 percent increase in fulltime job opportunities and a 41 percent increase in internship opportunities.
- Business Gap Analysis, US State Government: Analyzed healthcare infrastructure state-wide for bioterrorism preparedness. John developed the survey, facilitated sessions with state officials and national experts, developed cost models to quantify and qualify critical areas for investment, and authored the final report presented to the governor. The state was awarded $47 million in federal funds.
- Business Process Mapping/Internal Audit, Department of Defense: Led a seven-person team assisting the department’s logistics division. John facilitated 20 workshops with client leadership; documented current processes and controls, including purchasing, sales, and financial statement preparation; evaluated processes against relevant benchmarks; and documented critical gaps.
- Corporate Strategy Development, Construction Company: Developed a five-year plan for a $2 billion company. John interviewed senior executives, collected and analyzed performance data, identified industry benchmarks, and developed a model for assessing growth and consolidation opportunities at business units.
- Training and Leadership Development, Big Four Consulting Firm: Created two simulation-based training modules for newly-hired college graduates and MBA strategy practitioners. Training modules were rolled out to offices worldwide.
- Product Marketing, Global Logistics Company: Authored a competitive analysis report looking at encrypted email products from more than 40 companies. Identified potential product enhancements and new opportunities. Created brochures and other marketing communications for distribution by national account managers.
- Logistics Management, US Navy Aircraft Carrier: Managed the ship’s business logistics, handling $4.5 million in cash and monthly payroll and supervising more than 100 personnel. John established and directed forward-logistics sites in five foreign countries. He also managed four shipboard businesses that generated $1 million in annual revenue.
- Training and Strategy, US Department of Defense: Supervised team of four creating 200 curriculum hours for a US Navy training command. John facilitated sessions with command senior leadership working on a five-year strategic plan. He also established and monitored process improvement teams.