Supriya Misra is a Senior Director at Ankura based in Chicago. She is a forensic accountant with experience in the measurement and preparation of losses including business interruption, property damage, cyber breaches and crimes, and product recall; business interruption values and exposure assessments; and lost profits claims, litigation support, and expert witness services.
A Certified Public Accountant, Supriya has over seven years of experience focusing on dispute advisory and litigation consulting. Her industry experience includes manufacturing, healthcare, oil & gas, defense and government contracting, food processing, consumer packaged goods, hospitality (including hotel and restaurant), and retail.
Supriya’s professional experience includes:
Business Interruption and Property Damage
- Measured and prepared the business interruption, extra expense, and property damage claim for a global fertilizer manufacturer after an equipment explosion. Measurement complexities included allocating lost production to multiple sales terminals, valuing lost sales at different prices and costs based on sales terminal, measuring the impact of ramp-up after partial repairs were complete, considering seasonality of the business and sales, and measuring lost byproduct sales and saved distribution costs. Total loss was in excess of $100 million.
- Measured and prepared the business interruption, extra expense, and property damage losses at a medical product manufacturer’s plant resulting from hurricane Maria. Analyses included business interruption to the global supply chain, inventory losses including recalled product, incremental freight resulting from recalling product and shipping additional product, and excess labor. Total loss was in excess of $35 million.
- Measured and prepared the loss calculation, documentation, and submission for a merchandise retailer related to a cyber-attack on a third-party service provider. The event impacted the e-commerce portion of the business. Measurement complexities included properly forecasting sales, absent the loss, given impacts to the business caused by COVID as well as lack of historical performance due to the business being in infancy. Worked closely with the auditor to help them understand the unique nature of the client’s business as well as the unprecedented COVID environment in which they were operating, resulting in a favorable and timely settlement.
- Measured and prepared the business interruption and extra expenses of a multi-national electronics manufacturer related to a ransomware attack. The event impacted all systems, crashing the client’s sales website and causing them to lose product specifications. Measurement complexities included capturing lost website sales, quantifying the impact of having to recreate product specs for production and end-user instructions, and delineating between costs related to response and recovery versus improvement (or hardening) of systems.
- Measured and prepared the business interruption and extra expense of a food producer resulting from a ransomware attack causing client to disconnect all systems and lose ability to track inventory at external facilities. Tracked and organized hundreds of invoices and expense reports for over 10 facilities, measured business interruption losses due to shorted and cancelled orders, and measured extra expenses resulting from scrapped inventory, inventory reprocessing, and excess shipping costs.
- Measured and prepared a builder’s risk claim related to electrical damage in a partially occupied apartment complex. Measurement considered loss of rents in occupied buildings, market-to-actual rent adjustment, expenses incurred for loan extension, and additional concessions provided to existing residents.
Business Interruption Values & Exposure Analysis
- Annual preparation of business interruption values studies for multiple Fortune 500 companies in the following industries: energy and petrochemicals, food processing, pharmaceuticals, and defense technology.
Litigation Support & Expert Services
- Measured lost profits and extra expenses and prepared in-depth reports and exhibits used in expert testimony for first- and third-party disputes ranging from $5 million to over $1 billion.
- Measured reimbursement and waste claims, provided mediation and deposition support, and performed asset tracing and characterization, assessment and analysis of property division, estate planning, pension valuations, and income analyses primarily for probate and family law cases for estates ranging from $250,000 to over $3 billion.
- Assisted with damages claims, wrongful termination claims, and contract disputes.
- BBA, Accounting, The University of Texas at Austin
- BA, Plan II, The University of Texas at Austin
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- American Institute of CPAs (AICPA)
- NextUp | Advancing all Women in Business