Marshall Harris is a Senior Director at Ankura based in New York. Marshall has provided professional consulting services to owners, contractors, insurance companies, and their counsel on a wide variety of construction projects for more than 12 years. His experience is focused in critical path method (CPM) baseline schedule development, and project scheduling; schedule analysis and delay allocation; cost/damages assessment; claim development and review; expert report development; and developing and assessing claims for litigation, arbitration, and mediation. Marshall’s clients have relied on him for project scheduling and proactive risk advisory services on residential, hotel, and mixed-use high-rise projects in the US, and Marshall has also been involved in schedule delay and damages analysis for disputes on projects around the world, including residential, commercial, hospitality, and mixed-use high-rise developments; oil and natural gas projects; public projects; and overseas government projects such as military bases and embassies.
Marshall’s professional experience includes:
- Mixed-Use High-Rise Construction: Retained to advise and manage risk during construction of a two million square foot multi-tower development. Work includes assisting with time extension request development, meeting regularly with the project team to review issues and determine strategies, supporting monthly schedule updates/narrative development, ensuring issues are captured effectively across project reporting lines, assessing entitlement of sub-contractor delay/cost claims, and supporting response development.
- Los Angeles Luxury Residential / Hotel High-Rise Construction: Retained by the developer to provide advisory services, including development and maintenance of a completion schedule that incorporates information from the hotel operator, the developer’s project management team, and sub-contractors to achieve a phased occupancy that accommodates the required hotel opening date. Facilitated weekly meetings with stakeholders around project schedule, impacts, and issues.
- NYC Luxury Residential / Hotel High-Rise Construction: Provided advisory services for the developer, including development and maintenance of completion schedules for the hotel and residential components of the project to streamline stakeholder assessment. Facilitated weekly schedule review meetings with stakeholders to assess progress, address issues, and compile additional schedule information. Regularly walked entire project site to capture the status of work and prepare schedule updates. Augmented schedule updates with information from the construction management team and consultants, and schedules/completion lists maintained by others.
- Brooklyn Residential High-Rise Construction: Provided advisory services for the developer, including development of a CPM baseline schedule in Primavera (P6) by utilizing information from the contractor’s existing Microsoft Project Planner (MPP) schedule and significantly developing further details through working sessions with the project management team. Presented the baseline schedule to the project team, including investment partners, and prepared schedule updates during construction.
- Litigation – Courthouse: Performed a schedule analysis analyzing delays incurred by the MEP prime contractors on a 775 thousand square foot courthouse, and analyzed costs associated with alleged MEP-related building deficiencies. Created a 17,000-activity as-built schedule from seven years of contemporaneous schedules based on analysis of more than 1,900 project schedules issued contemporaneously. Assisted counsel in mediation sessions with 20 different parties and during six months of witness depositions.
- ICDR Arbitration – Overseas US Government Construction: Provided support to a first-chair testifier providing testimony during arbitration hearings concerning the schedule delays and project impacts related to the construction of six new building structures on 25 acres. Developed a critical path schedule analysis and assisted with the prepation of an expert report and a rebuttal report refuting the opinions of experts retained by the defendant. Worked with counsel to prepare for cross-examination of opposing experts and fact witnesses.
- UNCITRAL Arbitration – Natural Gas Processing Facility: Assessed claims made against the mechanical contractor by the project’s developer and EPC contractor. Assisted with preparing an expert report and a rebuttal report refuting the findings of an opposing expert.
- AAA Arbitration – 700MW Coal-Fired Power Plant: Assisted with the preparation of an expert report and rebuttal reports refuting the opinions of multiple cost and schedule experts retained by opposing parties. Analyzed design-build consortium partners’ damages claims and requests for equitable adjustment. Developed schedule delay analysis to substantiate affirmative claims for liquidated damages.
- Litigation – Manhattan Office Tower Deconstruction: Assisted with the preparation of an expert report and rebuttal reports refuting the opinions of multiple opposing experts. Coordinated labor productivity and schedule delay analyses to identify critical delays. Created a detailed sub-contractor project labor and cost database to identify productivity and discrete impacts on the project, assign costs to each impact, and determine the total value of work received by the owner.
- Litigation – Ship Construction: Engaged to quantify the additional costs/damages and critical path delays suffered by the constructor during manufacture of three 140 thousand cubic foot sludge ships. Assisted with the preparation of an expert report and rebuttal report. Quantified damages owed to the contractor and compiled data for analysis of contractor and sub-contractor labor overruns to confirm reasonableness of the contractor’s labor inefficiency assessments.