Index Tower, Unit 1701, DIFC
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
David Dellar is a Senior Managing Director at Ankura based in Dubai. He is a chartered structural engineer and testifying delay and disruption expert witness with over 25 years of experience in the engineering and construction industry.
David is highly experienced in leading expert witness and advisory audit commissions on a range of construction projects, on both live projects and those in formal dispute. He has previously worked with different forms of procurement, including JCT, NEC, and FIDIC. More recently, he has been exposed to large and complex process facilities carried out under bespoke EPC contracts.
David has worked on both onshore and offshore oil and gas infrastructure projects including refineries, gas processing, and piping projects. He has extensive experience in disputes relating to commercial, shopping malls, residential, and industrial projects. He applies his skills and experience to construction related projects, specifically across the MENA region.
David has developed expertise in the principles and practical procedures required to identify causes of delay in large construction and infrastructure projects. He is a chartered member of the Institution of Structural Engineers and a practicing member of the Academy of Experts.
David’s professional experience includes:
- Oil and gas projects based on EPC contracts including carrying out a joint expert role on an $8 billion oil refinery and acting as an independent delay expert witness on ICC arbitrations for a gas power plant and two piping installations relating to underground LPG storage ranging from disputes worth $10 million to $40 million in time related claims.
- Solar power projects in Saudi Arabia and Argentina carrying out delay analysis and producing initial reports on the causes of delays and acting in an ICC arbitration worth over $16 million in time related claims.
- Rail projects in KSA, Qatar, and UAE carrying out an analysis of the civil works and specialist rail system installations on behalf of the contractors, acting in an ICC arbitration worth over $80 million in time related matters.
- Commercial projects in UAE ranging in scope from fit out of headquarter style buildings to one-of-a-kind multiuse towers with architectural or structural engineering significance. Involved with clients providing either claims review or independent expert advisory consultancy services, assisting clients with alternative dispute resolution.
- Stadia project in Qatar acting in an ICC arbitration worth $15 million in time related matters relating to the fabrication and installation of a self-stabilized world cup stadium roof.
- Desalinated water and power plant projects in Bahrain and UAE carrying out independent reviews of time related claims on behalf of the employer.
- Dredging projects in Canada and Kenya as part of port expansion subcontract.
- MBA, Construction Executives, Manchester Business School Worldwide
- MSc, Construction Law & Dispute Resolution, King’s College London
- BEng, Civil Engineering, University of Warwick
- CEng, Chartered Engineer, ECUK
- Honors & Awards
- Recognized by Who's Who Legal Construction Expert Witnesses and Construction Quantum and Delay
- Who’s Who Legal says: "David Dellar is lauded for his 'thoroughness and expert knowledge of technical issues' as well as his 'detailed understanding of delay analysis and strong analytical skills'."
- Who's Who Legal says: "David is a highly experienced delay expert." "He is able to explain matters in an easy-to-understand way."
- Who's Who Legal says: "The 'great' David Dellar 'knows his stuff and is easy to work with'." "He produces impressive graphical illustrations for delay analysis."
- Legal Experience Training Advanced Professional Award in Expert Witness Evidence (LETAPAEWE) Accredited by Edexcel at Masters/BTEC Level 7, UK
- Member, Institution of Structural Engineers
- Member, Society of Construction Law (Gulf)
- Member, Academy of Experts