55 Bishopsgate, 2nd Floor
London, England EC2N 3AS
Mamas Stavrou is a Managing Director at Ankura, based in London. He is a chartered quantity surveyor with more than 25 years’ experience in the construction industry, now specializing in construction dispute resolution. He is a fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, and a Bond Solon accredited expert witness.
Mamas is regularly appointed as expert witness on quantum and has testified in the Technology and Construction Court, in international arbitration, and in dispute board hearings. He is recognized as a leading expert in Who’s Who Legal Construction.
Mamas’ professional experience includes:
- Expert reports and testimony on quantum in an ad hoc arbitration relating to a major waste water network and sewage treatment project in Oman. The amount in dispute was $90 million and concerned assessment of sums claimed in relation to alleged variations, delay, disruption, and loss of opportunity.
- Expert reports and testimony on quantum in a $50 million dispute in South African rules arbitration. The dispute involved assessment of the impact on equipment and labor from major scope changes and costs properly due to the claimant after termination of its contract for civil engineering and earth works on a mining project in Africa. The assessment predominantly entailed the analysis of equipment utilization and the audit of equipment costs and third-party equipment supplier agreements.
- Expert reports and testimony on quantum in dispute concerning a 400MW combined cycle gas turbine power plant project in Latvia. The dispute concerned the assessment of costs arising from changes to equipment transportation requirements and restrictions from delays caused to the delivery of equipment and from delays caused to the commissioning process.
- Expert reports and testimony on quantum in the High Court in London (TCC) in Greenore Port Ltd versus Technical & General Guarantee Company. The matter related to the assessment of costs properly due to the claimant in respect of the completion of port refurbishment and marine dredging works following replacement of the original contractor.
- Lead assistant in the preparation of expert evidence on quantum in a $900 million dispute in ICC arbitration relating to the construction of a 540km LNG pipeline, receipt station, and associated mainline valves in eastern Australia. This involved examination and assessment of the impact on equipment and labor from delays, disruption, and prolongation caused by variations to welding procedures and by other major variations. The assessment entailed labor and equipment productivity analyses, audit of staff and labor costs and employment agreements, audit of equipment costs and equipment supply agreements, audit of internal charging arrangements, and accounting systems.
- Lead assistant in the preparation of expert evidence on quantum in a $100 million dispute in ICC arbitration relating to the construction of a nickel slurry pipeline project in Africa. This required assessment of the impact on labor and equipment arising from unforeseen ground conditions and late changes to cut and fill and reinstatement activities.
- Expert advisor undertaking peer review of appointed quantum expert’s reports and analyses and assisted the legal team, appointed on behalf of the lead joint venture partner, to assess the quantum for discrete aspects of the case. The claims related to delay, disruption, and additional costs incurred as a consequence of termination, notably increased construction costs due to changed construction methodology arising from programme re-sequencing.
- MSc, Construction Management and Construction Law
- BSc, Quantity Surveying
- PGD, Construction Adjudication
- Honors & Awards
- Who’s Who Legal says: “‘Superb expert’ Mamas Stavrou ‘possesses deep technical expertise’ and is ‘adept at handling aggressive cross-examination’, report peers.”
- Chartered Quantity Surveyor
- Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators