Structuring partnerships that deliver synergies, growth, and innovation
To compete in today’s global economy, companies need to rapidly innovate, access new markets, share risks, gain scale, and optimize operational costs. In many instances, go-it-alone strategies may be too slow or companies may lack critical capabilities, and traditional merger and acquisition paths may be unavailable or too risky. As a result, leading organizations leverage joint ventures and partnerships to sustain and enhance competitiveness.
Ankura helps clients set the foundation for success and achieve the financial and strategic objectives of any joint venture or partnership. We assist clients on structuring and negotiating new transactions and governing and improving existing joint ventures. For clients with many joint ventures and partnerships, we also work at the corporate level to improve strategies, capabilities, and processes across their joint venture and partnership portfolio.
- Joint Ventures and Partnerships Advised
- in Transaction Value
WHO WE SERVE
- Largest Aerospace & Defense Companies
- Largest Chemicals Companies
- Largest Energy Joint Ventures
The Ankura Joint Venture Index®️
The Ankura Joint Venture Index®️ is a new barometer of global joint venture and partnership activity and impact. The JV Index indicates the level of global, corporate collaboration and can be an added indicator of shifts in the political and economic landscape over time.
The JV Index is available at The Joint Venture Alchemist
- New Transactions
We advise clients on new joint venture and partnership transactions, working across the deal lifecycle, bringing strategy, legal, and investment banking skills to each deal.
- Market Assessments
- Business Planning
- Deal Origination and Partner Introductions
- Transaction Process Management
- Partner Due Diligence
- Financial Modeling and Valuation
- Transaction Structuring
- Governance, Organization, and Services Design
- Negotiations Strategy and War Gaming
- Term Sheet Drafting and Deal Term Benchmarking
- Transaction Reviews and Opinion Memos
- Launch Planning and Management
- Existing Ventures
We work with owners, boards, and management teams of existing joint ventures and partnerships to align complex stakeholder interests to better govern, evolve, fix, restructure and, where necessary, resolve disputes or exit ventures.
- Business Planning and Facilitation
- Operating Model Diagnostics and Redesign
- Governance Diagnostics and Redesign
- Organizational, Capabilities, and Cultural Assessments and Redesign
- Board Director and Other Training
- Influence Plan Development (for Individual Owners)
- Mediation and Dispute Resolution
- Restructuring and Exit Transaction Management
- Corporate Partnership Capabilities
For companies that have or need to enter into multiple joint ventures or partnerships, we help clients develop corporate partnering strategies, as well as build corporate-level capabilities to better execute new deals and govern existing ventures.
- Corporate Partnering and Ecosystem Strategies
- JV and Partnership Portfolio Reviews
- JV Transaction Processes and Tools
- Business Development Organizational Assessments and Redesign
- Corporate Governance and Assurance Processes for JVs and Partnerships
- JV and Partnership Dashboard Development
- Corporate JV Governance Training and Development Programs
- Joint Venture Advisory Group Membership Services
The world’s only network of joint venture executives.
Our Latest Thinking
Global Energy Company
Delivering Joint Venture Strategy & Alignment
A major energy company sought to consolidate its convenience store operations with an independent operator and distributor in a large geographic region. Ankura served as an independent, neutral advisor serving both parties. Ankura engaged deeply with both partners to identify the parties’ key short- and long-term financial, governance, control, and ownership interests and advised on implications on transaction structure. We then developed options and independent perspectives for key open deal terms, leveraging benchmarks and comparable transactions to bolster our views. We facilitated negotiations and translated the agreed upon terms into a term sheet. The deal closed and the partners consolidated their convenience store businesses in the target region.
The Ankura Difference
We understand that succeeding in joint ventures and partnerships requires a blend of hard facts and analysis, with an ability to align partners around a common vision and practical solutions that reflect their different interests and constraints. Our team is composed of strategy consultants, transaction attorneys, and investment bankers with significant experience on joint ventures and partnerships – reflecting the unique skillset required to design and evolve these ventures. We also bring an unrivaled database of deal terms and governance practices in joint ventures and partnerships, as well as proprietary standards, which allow us to benchmark transaction structures and existing ventures, and thus better identify and build alignment around gaps and potential solutions.